Sign in to follow this  

Getting out?

I got hhurt pretty bad in July this year and haven't riden since. I am still not physically able to either but I will be one day. Heres the rub though, I'm scared to ride again. I got a bad kicker on a fourth gear triple and wound up face first in the ground with a broken femur and fractured pelvis in two places.

The wife doesn't like the idea of me riding ever again either. If that wasn't enough, I am changing professions to be a pilot so I can't really afford it either. "She Who Muct Be Obeyed" has some say but if I really wanted to ride again, I'm pretty sure I could talk her into it but I don't want to. I loved to ride, there was nothing like the rush of launching off that jump and feeling like your in control of something out of control. Tom Cruise said that in Days of Thunder and it's of course an illusion but it still was a great feeling that I never grew tired of.

Has anyone else quit riding because of circumstances like this? Everybody says that I'll be back but I'm tired of getting hurt. I know I should have slowed down but when you know you can do a jump and skip through a whoop section, it's hard not too.

I guess I sound like a wuss but the thought of getting back of ever again just doesn't sound appealing anymore. I guess the biggest thing I miss is hanging out at the track with everyone.

well, i don't know what the problem is here???? you just said it all.... you don't want to ride anymore. hell, there's life after riding. take some whitewater kayaking lessons. not as hard on the old bones but you can get a hell of rush once you get good enough to do the 'GOOD STUFF' just because you don't race anymore doesn't mean you can't hang out at the track and pit for someone. or maybe do some riding but don't get so damn crazy. buy a trials bike and learn how to go slow. it's a hell of a lot harder and more challenging then going fast. hell, get that ole brain of your's workin. you'll find something and by all means DO NOT leave the thumper forum....... :cry:

BTW, iv'e been busted up a bit myself in the past years and i'm still racing motocros in my age class and doing a lot of trail riding on my xr-400.

broke my right leg just above the boot line, 8 inch boots, both the tibia and fibula <spelling?> spent 6 months in a hip cast, 1975.

broken wrist, 1972

broken left foot, 1964 smashed all the bones when my 650 triumph flipped while hill climbing and landed on it.

broken rib, 19??

two dislocated shoulders 1997, rafting accident, class 5 river, southern oregon. had to have both shoulders reconstructed.

Hell, i'm still rafting, kayaking, and riding bikes.

don't give up....

Kaos :cry:

Kaptain_Kaos had some good points. One thing you can do to help win political battles (family) is to try different form of riding. Last year I got hurt pretty bad on a road course and my family will forever associate road racing with injuries. Now I’m looking to try off roading. :cry:

Guess I should have asked if anyone else has had similar circumstances and felt the same way but couldn't give it up. Or did and got back in. That MX thing is a true addiction.

Is it MX or nothing? You can ride without risking your life

Time for an off road bike, leave the MX scene for a bit.. Blasting woops, ruts, small bumps is truly a blast... But what ever you decide,, do it for your self, not in spite of, or for someone else.

If it aint fun,,,it's called work,, and who the heck wants to do that :cry: Find something new.. though,, most any sport or activity the feeds the same senses and mind set that made you enjoy MX,, will also have it's dangers.

Guess I should have asked if anyone else has had similar circumstances and felt the same way but couldn't give it up. Or did and got back in. That MX thing is a true addiction.

I fit the description of the type of person you are talking about. I have been on bikes since age 4. I raced in my youth down in Florida where I am from. I rode the Mini Olympics, Gold Cup, Winter Am's, and won a championship in the defunct Florida MX club spring series in the early 90's.

At age 24, I had a terrible bike vs. bike head on trail riding accident in the Ocala Nat. Forest that resulted in a bone through-the-skin shattered femur and two broken wrists (you should have seen the other guy!). I was on crutches for 10 months and was out of action for much longer. It was really tough. It totally changed who I was at the time.

I gave road racing a try, loved it, had some promising results, then my uninsured bike was stolen along with my trailer. At that point in life, the wind was really out of my sails. I felt like a black cloud was over me. Motorcycles had always been a part of my life and now they were being associated with pain, both physical and mental/spiritual.

I made a major life change. I got off competitive bikes and bought a dual sport. I ended up riding it solo from Florida to Alaska on a long summer trip. It was a fantastic journey. I hit the painted desert, the Grand Canyon, Death Valley, Mammoth MTN during the big MX weekend, the Redwood forests of Northern Cal., the Pacific Coast of Oregon/Washington, got on a ferry in Bremerton, WA. and got off in Haines, Alaska. I did 900 miles of the AL-CAN highway finishing the ride where the end of the road meets the ocean in Homer, Alaska. It was theraputic and cleared my head but gave me a nasty case of monkey butt. :cry:. It also rekindled my love for motorcycling.

I ended up finding work while up in AK for triple the pay I was working for in Fl. I stayed. That 1990XT600 dual sport was finally sold last year with 25K miles on it. I had some epic rides on it in addition to the one mentioned above.

A couple years ago, my son started MX racing. I was going crazy on the side lines watching the VET classes. I got a bike and made it to race 3 before breaking my leg (the opposite of the first injury) that required another surgical plate. I didn't even fall in the accident, just jammed my leg into the top of a whoop. I was trying to race at the speeds I had in my youth and my then 35 year old body just wasn't quite ready. I was out for 5 months from work. I felt pretty silly. I almost gave it up completely. However, something inside just couldn't go out that way.

I trained through the off season and raced again this year. I had a good season going but a month before the last state race of the year, I had a huge get off over a 80+ foot tabletop with a blind downhill landing. I suffered a concussion, a badly broken collarbone, bruised ribs, and a severe ankle sprain. My confidence was really high and I was finally riding at the speeds I did in my youth again. I finished up the season riding broken up in the last state race, I finished 3rd on the year. I definately plan to continue racing next year.

I have come to accept that if you are going to race, you are going to get injured. You may go a whole season or two without an injury but eventually you will pay the piper. And when I say racing, I mean racing, really competing, pushing it, not just riding around the track. Injuries are just simply a part of the package.

I also don't buy into the fact that trail riding is any less dangerous than MX on the track. The worst injury I ever received was while trail riding. I have ridden trials bikes and really enjoyed it but found myself wanting to go faster. I have done the super motard thing also, would love to do that if there were more of it locally. I have also Ice raced, great fun but still not MX fun. It's sad and masochistic, I am addicted. Admitting it is the first step to recovery, right ? :cry: :cry:.

I hurt when I move and I won't ever win any foot races again, but I am happiest when I am out on the track getting a holeshot leading into the first turn. There will come a day when I call it quits but I don't want that to be while I can still throw a leg over and git er done. Maybe when I am 40, or 50? It is a personal decision, many call me crazy but I live for me and I have a wife and kids who love me for that. Life will throw you lots of curve balls, you may even get hit by those pitches, I choose to keep swinging. :cry: :cry:

Wait a minute...your gonna be a pilot, right?

Take up aerobatics....then if you crash, you won't have to worry about anything ever again.

MX is a dangerous sport. Injuries and MX are hand in hand. Some are luckier than others. You could have easily become a quadaplegic from that crash. It's good to look at it from your point of view.

You are very blessed and should be grateful. You should have no shame in hangin' it up and calling it quits. But YOU have to make the decision, not your wife, and not your riding buddies.

There is always trail riding! Not quite as dangerous, still a thrill to ride a dirtbike to get the "fix". You can take up trials, enduros, hare and hounds if you still have a competion urge. You can take up skydiving, scuba diving, hanggliding, ultralight flying,kyaking, etc...all have significant risks and disastrous results from mishaps.

You only live once...but you only die once too. :cry:

like everyone else has allready said, motocross and injurys are just going to happen. last night i crashed in a arenacross race, and broke my right arm. i just got out of the hospital a few hours ago. the doctor told me that i should never touch a motorcyle again. I called him a a** hole(lol drugs can do marvolus things) any way I will be counting down the days till i can ride again. just follow your heart man, if you love motocross as much as i and all the other tt'ers you will find a way to ride, and not be afraid. hope that made since. im still pretty loopy from the drugs :cry:

Always have something something to be thankful for. And it could have been worse taking a face first shot on a triple could have broken my neck. Trail riding may be an option later on but I never really enjoyed it like MX. Considering the altenrate of not riding again, thats a heck of a lot better than not riding at all.

Matt, glad to hear your not to bad for the wear. Nver too much fun to have to do rehab but at least your still walking. Listen to the docs and ask and a bone stimulater. Could shorten the recovery time quite a bit. Good luck.

Hey I broke my back, wrist, and punkcherd a lung all at the same time and told myself I would never ride again I was through. But after a month or 2 found out that for me anyways that it is not that easy. Well now I am back to riding and racing. All in fun.

I faced the same dilemma this year. Last November I was riding my bike in the dez and broke my foot really bad. I mean really bad. Between three surgeries and a bad infection I wound up missing about three months of work. Luckily, very luckily, I had a lot of leave built up at work, and my bosses were way cooler than they had to be.

I was on crutches for eight months and this gave me a lot of time to think about my riding future. I have to work on Mondays! I'm over 40 now and am responsible for much more than just myself. Old injuries are coming back to haunt me. Above all, I got nervous thinking about riding- that had never happened before.

In the end, the urge to ride was greater than any worries I had developed. But I gave it time and have decided to do things a little differently.

RULES-

1) Riding will be fun- when it stops being fun, I ll find something else to do.

2) In the future, I will be pulling back a bit. No blind stuff and nothing too crazy. I'm SLOWING DOWN.

That said, I recently purchased a CRF250. Everyone tried to talk me into the 450, but I have always had more fun on smaller bikes. My fondest memories of riding were on an '86 XR 250. And I thought of Rule #1.

I've been able to relax and enjoy riding for the same reasons I was drawn to it in the first place- to just have fun.

Give yourself all the time you need and remember ther is much more to life than motorcycles.

Oh, yeah- the upside to riding these days is that my equipment is better than ever. After years of putting everybody else in front of me, I am starting to have more fun. No more crappy trucks and clap-trap bikes. I ride to the dez in comfort and my bikes are always SANO. My kids are older and my discretionary income is better than ever. I am beginning to treat myself right, baby. :cry:

Went through about the same, 20 yrs ago

fractures;

feemer

right sholder blade

both colar bones

right wrist

3 vertabre/back (sp?)

ankle

and ribs

I haden't ridden in 20 yrs, then I decided to get a street bike for just sunday rides with the Mrs and a reason to go see some friends in Datona for bike week. She then expressed a desire to learn to ride, and talked about a bike for the boy. I told her if she wanted to learn to ride street she had to learn the basic in the dirt, hence the dual sport xt225 and the drz110. I figured I would play arround on the xt in the dirt with the boy and all would be fine. WRONG !!! once I got back in the dirt it was all over, I didn't realize how much I missed it, so it was time for a real dirt bike for me.

I went with the WR because I KNEW I was not going to ride like I did before (but in my head I thought I could!!) I have had a great time just riding trails, and have done a few laps on a track (boy did I feel old and out of shape)

I am having a better time riding now than I ever did before because I ride for the enjoyment, not for the race.

once it's in you, I don't think you can get it out :cry: