Sign in to follow this  

PLEASE BE CAREFUL WITH YOUR EYES!

Guys, I hope this doesn't come off as too much of a public service announcement, but as a guy who makes his living fixing broken eyes, please listen to what I have to say. I see far too many eyes lost to eye trauma that could have been avoided. I'm waiting to go to the OR to fix one as we speak.

1. Please wear safety glasses whenever using high-speed tools or banging metal on metal. Little slivers of metal penetrate the eye easily (grinders are particularly dangerous, but so are hammers).

2. If you are in the garage/shop watching someone, you need safety glasses too. I've seen several mechanics who have finished their work and as they walk out of the garage, a metallic fragment comes off of another guy's grinder and blinds them.

3. Beware of small bits of metal that get in your hair, etc. and then fall into the eye after you have finished grinding. These aren't as serious obviously as a penetrating injury, but I see them all the time. I can't tell you how many times I've seen a patient with an embedded metallic fragment that fell in there while showering after work.

4. Throw out your bungee cords. If one hits you in the eye, only serious damage can occr. There is always another way to secure things.

5. Beware of battery acid. It eats eyes. Nuff said.

I see the end result of these injuries. Take it from me that a little common sense goes a very long way. :cry:

He knows what he speaks,, :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

I'm not a doc, but a user of the services.

Twice now I have had to have metal bits removed from my eyes in the ER.. Not fun,

I always wear glasses in the shop and or a full shield when grinding,, and still it has happened to me,, once it dropped in to my eye around my glasses while under a vehicle, and once I had a piece get in my eye after being done for the day and getting ready to go home. I had been using a carbide bit in a die grinder,, they produce nasty sharp small slivers of cut steel, I had flakes of it in my hair, wiped my hand through my hair and a piece flicked in to my eye,, ,, another trip to the ER (the local docs make lots of "Tim Allen" jokes )

No one plays in my shop with out Safety glasses,,or a grinding shield.. there are pairs of glasses all around the shop, and 4 or 5 new pairs at all times in the rollaway.

Thanks for the reminder oticoyote

A long time ago after band practice (i know, this one time.. at band camp..) I opened up a coke can and a chip of aluminum shot into my left eye. I wound up scratching the chit out of it and going to the ER!

A very good reminder - thanks! My scratched old goggle glasses that pass for eye protection in my garage could use some updating. Now I am motivated to do so.

Ironically, I bought my DRZ used with low miles from an eye surgeon. He was a new rider and was extremely concerned he might fall and injure his hands. He did the right thing selling the dirt bike. The guy was so petrified of hurting himself he was destined to.

Ironically, I bought my DRZ used with low miles from an eye surgeon. He was a new rider and was extremely concerned he might fall and injure his hands. He did the right thing selling the dirt bike. The guy was so petrified of hurting himself he was destined to.

Good disability insurance lets me ride bonzai. :cry:

I teach chemistry labs at the university level and a lot of the stuff that we work with, i.e acids, bases and various organic chemicals can cause serious eye damage. I'm constantly telling my students to put their eye protection back on. Some of them don't understand why I'm being so hard assed, but I tell them it's for their own protection.

I had a partner in a steel fab business that must have had magnets in his eyes :cry:. It was partially his fault because he didn't always wear glasses but even when he did, the steel would find a way in there. The first time it happened he just let it go thinking it would get better, not a chance, instead it rusted and the eye started to repair over it. He said the doctor went in with a dremel type tool and actually had to cut it out. From then on it something got in his eye and he couldn't get it out by the next morning he go right in.

The only time I got steel in my eye was a stupid mistake. I had to drill one quick hole on the drill press and sure enough a chip broke off and went right into my eye. I got it out right away but it scratched the lens worse than ever before. I had to wear an eye patch for a few days after because the eye was so sensative to light I couldn't stand it.

Don't forget this also applies to riding, always wear eye protection. For some reason whenever I can't see I always end up on the ground with the bike on top of me :cry:

What cracks me up is how those Oh-So-Cool chopper guys on TV (OCC) almost never wear eye protection when grinding or anything else.

I teach chemistry labs at the university level and a lot of the stuff that we work with, i.e acids, bases and various organic chemicals can cause serious eye damage. I'm constantly telling my students to put their eye protection back on. Some of them don't understand why I'm being so hard assed, but I tell them it's for their own protection.

Its simple do the following:

Get an eye patch from a dollar store.

Have a student try to do some sort of task with the eye patch on. E.g. Staking domions or tossing a ball into a cardboard box.

So now the students can see how difficult life would be with one eye. Okay kids wear your frikin safty glasses.

I was sharpening a drill bit on a grinder with no glasses, might have felt something hit my eye but later that night I was in the worst pain, looked in a mirror and saw a shiny piece of metal in my Cornea (sp?). I waited to go to the eye doctor on Monday, instead of emergency but was in the worst pain all weekend, he said better I waited since ER would have made me blind getting it out, he had to drill around it to make sure there was nothing left or he said it will rust and you get cateracts (sp)... Never again! Always protect the eyes

It's funny, in the days before I thought of becoming an ophthalmologist, I worked on a paper machine in a pulp and paper mill. We used air hoses to clean up bits of paper around the machines. There were little holes and grooves in the floor where oil would collect and every so often the air would blast the oil into my face/eyes. Never thought much of it, just washed it off and continued on. No safety glasses there. Now I would fall over if I saw someone doing that. :cry:

Its simple do the following:

Get an eye patch from a dollar store.

Have a student try to do some sort of task with the eye patch on. E.g. Staking domions or tossing a ball into a cardboard box.

So now the students can see how difficult life would be with one eye. Okay kids wear your frikin safty glasses.

That could be a simple pass/fail system. If they get the ball in the box they pass, if not they fail. There were posters on the doors to the chemistry labs where I went to school that said " Googles today let you ogle tomorrow." It had a picture of a guy with bandages over both of his eyes.

Good disability insurance lets me ride bonzai.

Putting on my insurance hat for a sec. Just make sure your disability insurance is not with Unum. Those rat bastards never, ever pay. By virtue of the Federal ERISA statute which grants them near absolute protection from policyholder lawsuits, they almost don't have to. What a racket. Their policies are not worth the paper they are printed on. :cry:

I return you to your regularly scheduled thread :cry: