Sign in to follow this  

Loading 101

Well, after putting it off forever (due mostly to laziness, and being chicken) I finally got my bike up in the truck, without help.

Now I don't have a HUGE truck, but it is a Toyota 4x4 with 31" tires on it, and a relatively short ramp, making a steep angle. I've pushed the bike in there before sans engine so really it probably wouldn't take more than a year or two in the gym to be able to push the whole thing in there.

Well, a couple of years ago, I loaded it myself by starting it, putting it in first and walking it up the ramp. That backfired (tire spun the ramp out from under me) and I haven't done it since, until today; this time I used the safety hooks on the ramp.

Easy as pie. Now I feel REALLY stupid for begging for help for so long.

So anyway, I can't remember if there was a post here or on another forum, but that's the way to do it the easiest and it works! That bike's got an engine for a REASON!

I can feel for you, as when I bought my bike, I took it out riding for the first time(2 years ago) by myself, and never put it in the back of the truck by myself untill I was finished putzing around. adn't ridden a bike at all for over 15 years either. I'm in my old '73 Dodge 4x4(33" tires), with a short ramp, I must have spent 20-30 minutes trying to get it loaded. I have since then bought the long ramp(cake), and I wouldn't ever think of riding it in there! :cry:

I push it up as far as I can go up the ramp, put it in gear, and holding onto the bike I climb into the truck, and holding the clucth in, pull it into the truck. Oh, the engine isn't running at this time either.

Who needs to workout if you ride regularily? I could stand to do a few reps every now and then to keep my washboard stomache! :cry:

What's wrong with a girl that beggs? :cry: :cry: :cry:

Cool! Used the old engine running trick with my DRZ all the time...

With the WR I feel guilty it's so light!

Still, the whole 2 ramp thing is the best thing since sliced bread, got mine from Harbor Freight. 2 steel, treaded, with lip for tailgate, ramps for $30. Walk into the truck with the bike, DONE! :cry:

I used to load my KX 125 into my Ranger...3.5" lift, 31" tires, by RIDING it up....not slow, not fast, but CONSTANT....course the cab end of the bed kinda looked dinged up after awhile! LOL LOL

Tom

I am quite sure I could ride it in--that wide folding ATV ramp I have is awesome. However I have one of those plastic bedliners (came with the truck) and it's SLICK! So that's why I'm too chicken to ride in.

Don't try it, even if others egg you on! It's tempting, but you'll either be lucky, or sorry you tried. :cry:

My hubby made sure the boys and I can all powerload our bikes into the truck. I think he did this to make sure if he was hurt we could load the truck without his help. :cry:

We also have a car trailer that he built removable racks for. We just push the bikes up the ramp on that.

Either way we all load our own bikes. Even the 11yr old and the 8 yr. old. :cry:

I still can't get my bike in the truck (F150)!! :cry:

I get to the point where my front tire is barely on the tailgate and then I can't push anymore (no more leverage)! It doesn't help that I am short! :cry:

I still can't get my bike in the truck (F150)!! :cry:

I get to the point where my front tire is barely on the tailgate and then I can't push anymore (no more leverage)! It doesn't help that I am short! :cry:

:cry: :cry: We'll have to practice 'spotting' each other and try the 'engine on' technique... I wouldn't mind trusting my weight to the milk crate or bike stand if the bike was pulling its own weight and I didn't have to PUSH against it! And Flynall showed me a good way to get the bike DOWN, leaving it in gear... we can do it!! :cry:

id say if your going to try and ride it in then make sure the ramp is going to stay where its at, i know someone who tried it and the ramp fell off his figers got smashed between his bars and the tailgate and had to have surgery on it..

I certainly wasn't talking about riding it, just leaving it running and working to clutch to let it load itself... although if I DO ever try riding it thanks for the tip, I'll make sue to use the little hook it came with!! :cry:

Leaving it running works pretty slick.

I haven't ridden in yet . . . well, I have, but when I backed up to a dirt pile. Even that was nerve-wracking at first.

I have had visions of mounting an electric winch to the front

of the bed of the truck. Then you just pull out the cable, hook it up to the bike and turn on the winch.

Should pull the bike right up the ramp into the bed.

May be kind of slow though, but should be effective for

the vertically challenged who have problems with leverage.

When you figure out an easy way of loading AND unloading from your truck please let me know. I am also vertically challenged (5'2") and am getting an F250. I think I can load it, (probably with the engine running and the clutch) but I am worried about being able to unload it.

With an ATV ramp like I have, unloading is the easy part. You just walk down next to the bike. No problem. Will your F250 be a 4x4? Lifted? Big tires? If so, the ATV ramps might be too short. You might have to get two long ramps.

I've seen those ramps that fold in the center, and have a slight upward curve to them; those look pretty slick. Has anyone used that kind?

Really, I'm telling you - just get 2 ramps! I'm 5'6 140lbs and was loading my DRZ that weighed TWICE what I did...

If the metal ramp you buy isn't long enough just extend the bottom with a length of wood...

AGAIN! Harbor FREIGHT! You can order online even!

We have the Harbor Freight ramps. We love them! You can screw the two together for a wider ramp for power loading or leave them apart for the walk up the ramp approach. The price is an added extra bonus!!!! We have been using ours for 3 years now with no problems. :cry:

Oh, I forgot an option...

WORK OUT A LOT AND BE CRAZY!

At 16 my friend (we thought) broke his collar bone. I had to load both his bike (CR500) and my bike TTR225 (heavy POC) by myself - no ramps. Fortunatly it was a S10, but still - total PTA :cry: (yes I was even shorter and scrawnier then...)

JUST GET THE RAMPS! If I'm lazy I idle the engine up and walk up the other, if I'm feeling the need to be manly I walk it up.

Oh and be careful using a bucket, milk crates aren't so bad, but I used a bucket with 2 other friends watching and as I stepped on the bucket it collapsed and my DRZ almost ended up on top of me :cry: :cry: :cry::lol::cry:

With an ATV ramp like I have, unloading is the easy part. You just walk down next to the bike. No problem. Will your F250 be a 4x4? Lifted? Big tires? If so, the ATV ramps might be too short. You might have to get two long ramps.

I've seen those ramps that fold in the center, and have a slight upward curve to them; those look pretty slick. Has anyone used that kind?

I've got one of those and really like it... however, I'm not sure its the best for walking up, you've got to step on the RUNGS to do that, like walking up the monkey bars as a kid! :cry: But for two-person, or one STRONG person, loading, its great, folds in half so you can store it in the cab if you want, weighs less than 20 lbs! $90 off of Ebay! :cry:

I've got one of those and really like it... however, I'm not sure its the best for walking up, you've got to step on the RUNGS to do that, like walking up the monkey bars as a kid! :cry: But for two-person, or one STRONG person, loading, its great, folds in half so you can store it in the cab if you want, weighs less than 20 lbs! $90 off of Ebay! :cry:

That's my problem with my wide ATV ramp--the rungs are too far apart to walk up them fast. I have to be able to look down at where I place my feet. (I'm not a particularly graceful person anyway--I'll attribute it to my lack of proprioception from post-op nerve damage but it might be natural)

If I could get a running start I wouldn't even need the bike running to do it, I bet.

Oh well.

I figure--however you get it in there, as long as it works, carry on!