Sign in to follow this  

What Toy hauler do you use?

Hey guys...wife and I sold our slide in camper and are looking for a replacement. We're looking to hear ideas and reviews for what works for you. We do a lot of Baja runs so size and ground clearance are important to us. We will be carrying one cycle, one quad, and a small 14' alum fishing boat with motor. The tow vehicle is a crew cab F250 with diesel. We have a family of 2.5 plus two large dogs. Main idea so far is follows:

1) Small toy hauler 18-20 ft - Bikes and boat inside, dogs in truck with shell. Or boat on truck shell.

What brands are you all using and what brands should we stay away from?

Any advise on the "Lite's" vs. the full body strenght as it would pertain to the Baja roads.

Thanks in advance for your answers!

Tim, Shannon, Coral, Luna, & Baja.

Mex_Rig_.JPG

Cabo and back 4 times. Bikes in the shed. 100gal aux diesel fuel on trailer plumbed to transfer to motorhome. 2400 mile range. :cry:

homie_2002.jpg

G2B,

Last year my wife and I bought a 20' Fun Runner by Carson trailers in Lakeside. I pull it with and F250 Diesel Crew. We also have two dogs (boxes) and haul 1 bike and 1 quad. This trailer can easily fit another bike and two if you really worked at it.

This trailer works great and sleeps four comfortably with enough floor space to fit 2 more people. We opted for the version with the seperate bathroom upfront as I don't like to be crowded when I tend to business if you know what I mean, plus the shower has a little more room too.

I think these are the best priced for this style of trialers as you are buying direct from the manufacture. PM me and I can send you all the details.

Check out this link

http://www.tomsrv.com/sport_trailers.htm

Fun runner FD Front Bath

Just bought a new 37ft Forest River 5th wheel. It has a 12 ft. garage for me and 25 feet worth of luxury and 2 slide outs for the family.

i have an 18' curtis also known by the names baja and dunes.

there on par with the carson trailers, for the money you cant beat them and they have a more open area than allot of more pricey boxes,

you will probably end up with the boat on the camper shell, but even a 16' has plenty of room for a quad, bike and room for boat stuff

clearance is going to be an issue with any box, but you can have the axles flipped at your request to get a little more clearance and that will allow you to go with bigger tires for even more clearance.

I have a 21' Baja also with the axles flipped and have all kinds of clearance. 4 bikes and a quad and could probably fit another quad. Oversized fresh water tank (120 g) helps, too. Only about 12K new. I hear the "best" are the Weekend Warriors, but you don't need the super reinforced floor for Herley's :cry:. The lites are usually the same as the regular trailers, just narrower.

Our family just purchased a 29ft Fury by Thor Toy Hauler, has 2 power queen in beds in the back, can sleep 10. I have 3 kids 11-13-15 plus wife and dogs. 2 trips and it works great.

Hi

My wife and I have a weekend warrior fb2200. The box is 22.5' long and overall length is around 26'. I would think that it might be a tight fit to get a quad / bike / boat into it. It might fit but I find that there are times we need to make a stop some place for the night or just to eat and it might be a bit tough to do that with all that stuff in it.

Also for us it is starting to get to be a pain to have to drop the rear queen bed and make are way up the ladder to the bed. With stuff in the trailer it can be even more of a pain. A front bed or 5th wheel trailer style trailer would make that better. Once your 0.5 grows up and wants a place to sleep of there own you'll have to think about dropping down one of the couch beds also. However if you get a front bed that also has the drop down queen bed in the back upper portion you might be fine there. With stuff in the back of the trailer dropping down the rear bed can sometimes be an issue. It can be hard to get to the handle on the upper bed to pull it down.

On the cool side though we did get the screen room that allows us to gain another 8’ or so of living space. It’s like a big deck. To use it though I recommend stabilizers for the trailer which are good to have any ways. If the wind blows the trailer at night while your sleeping your less likely to sway and being up in that upper level queen bed it can sway a lot.

We’re starting to lean towards a 30' (give or take) 5th wheel. Once it's attached to the truck it probably will be very close to the over all length of the trailer we have now since some of it is over the bed of the truck.

Our fb220 weighs in around 6700lbs with 2 bikes in it. We used to pull it with an f150 but now have an f250 v10 which pulls it very well. I was a bit worried about the smaller breaks on the f150. The new “lite” versions seem nice but I’m not sure how much less in weight they weigh. Also you need to make sure you have enough water space with the lite version for a larger family.

Only big suggestion I can give after you purchase is make sure the tires are balanced. Most manufactures don’t do that and can lead to trouble.

Doug

Great posts all! Doug, I think you have the TH I would really like to have. There is a new floor plan for 06' (is it 05' already and I somehow missed New Years?) with the front bath with a corner kitchen. Lots of floor space but still a manageable size for Baja.

Anyone haul ass down washboards with their trailers? What speed to you run and what kind of damage if any afterward?

Thanks again for the replies!!! Pomona show might be the answer!

Tim + 4 gals

we have a ww fs2300 superlite and love it :cry:

only has 12 ft of cargo space because of the front sleeper - its a 23 ft box with an over all of 27.6 feet - the fk 2100 superlite has 18 ft of space but we like the extra queen bed in front plus you get a lot more storage

f9fa90d3.jpg

2j.jpg

jeff :cry:

well we got a 16 ft carson fun runner new for 7200 and it hauls 1 quad my bike and my sons and i could fit 1 more quad or at least 1 more bike its not the best out there but you cant beet the price all you due is slowley add the extras and the best part no payments

jws...thats a good example of bringing every thing and having the kitchen sink too... where is that picture taken at?

also...going2baja, if you do decide to go with the ww, i'm sure some of us, including me can give you more details on them and things too look into or have.

doug

jws... where is that picture taken at?

el mirage :cry:

unkle, how much did you pay? thinking of getting one this next weekend of oct.23,24. at the rv show in pomona

I've got a 34' Bounder Class A RV and use a VersaHaul hitch-mount for the bike. I'm a recent returnee to bikes ('04 KLR650 :cry:) after owning a dirt bike while stationed in Japan 30 years ago, so am still getting used to the beast. Gotta admit that the street side of the dual sport around here (Silicon Valley) is pretty hairy. It's amazing just how invisible you are on a bike! :cry:

Unfortunately, the land barge is in the shop for a blown head gasket, so am limited to the local area for now. :cry: