Sign in to follow this  

Buying a 01' wr250...What do I need to know??

Any advice for a new rider.? I am buying a super clean 01' wr250. Any advice or tips about this bike?? I have read all about the free mods available and gone to the ThumperFaq page for additional info. Is the 03' decompression cam really a must-have?? What essential tools do I need to purchase for regular maintence and trail riding?? Where can I get a owners manual? Thanks to all for any advice and insight.

You can pick up a manual at your dealer and all I got to say is make sure to do the free mods, Throttle stop, grey wire ect.. totaly different bike.

You are buying a great bike. The 03 cam is not a must but it is worth it. It helps starting and reduces stalling if the rear wheel locks for a second without one your done, With the new cam it bump starts esaily. I have found a couple of 03 WR cams from my freinds here at thumpertalk for half the price of new. A lot of guys go to YZ cams and take there WR cam out. Change your oil frequenly, especialy the first couple of times.

:cry:

I've had a 01 WR for 3 years about 2500 miles on it. Excellent bike. If you know how to start a 4 stroke, bike starts easily. Bump starts easy also by pulling in manual compression release. A handlebar mounted hot start button is more convenient than stock one. Clutch drag can be fixed by washers on clutch springs (do search on this site). Valves are still in adjustment after 2500 miles! Seal Savers will help with leaking fork seals. Seems to start easier after going to a spark plug one heat range hotter, CR7, and changing plug every 4-500 miles. Be sure to do free mods, especially cutting the grey wire. One of the best and most reliable bikes I've ever owned.