Sign in to follow this  

Larger fuel tank

Is IMS the only option for larger gas tanks? In another post I have stated that I'm lookin at buying one of these bikes, I am concerned though that these tanks are a bit small and I'm not digging the metal thing either, what are some options.

Clarke makes a 3.9 gal. Lots of guys recommended it, so that's what I bought.

Acerbis also makes a 4.2g tank. But it won't fit on the S model because of the horn and fan. But I think it looks better then the IMS or the Clarke.

I just bought an IMS 17 litre (4.8g [?]) tank and mounted it up this arvy. Fits ok, although the seat needs a slight bit more bend and was a rather tight fit. My only concern with it was that the shroud bits of the tank don't bolt into the radiator - even though it has the mounting holes in the side, its miles away from the rads (width wise). :cry:

You can get the rear of the tank down, by removing the stock thick rear rubber tank mount from the frame. I replaced mine with a homemade thinner version. Be sure your tank is not rubbing anything after you do it. This will bring the rear of the tank down, and will help out your seat a little.

My only concern with it was that the shroud bits of the tank don't bolt into the radiator - even though it has the mounting holes in the side, its miles away from the rads (width wise). :cry:

Just use a couple color matched zip-ties.

ps. this works best when you have an all black bike. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

I'm well on the way - black acerbis SM front fender, black UFO headlight, new IMS tank is all black .... now I just need to replace the side pannels and rear fender to be good to go. Even my new eibach spring is black! :cry: :cry:

I'm well on the way - black acerbis SM front fender, black UFO headlight, new IMS tank is all black .... now I just need to replace the side pannels and rear fender to be good to go. Even my new eibach spring is black! :cry: :cry:

sorry my last post was for this quote I'd like to see some pics if its possible :cry:

will do once I get the replacement plastics - looks a bit funky with half black half yellow....! :cry:

Acerbis also makes a 4.2g tank. But it won't fit on the S model because of the horn and fan. But I think it looks better then the IMS or the Clarke.

Hmmmmmmmmmm, just got this from a UK Aceribs dealer

Thanks for the mail. The Acerbis tank 1604 is designed just for the DRZ with fan, the 1616 is designed for bikes without fan with electric start.

The colours are not a perfect match, they are shinny but not gloss as in painted metal type

I hope that is clear but if not please come back to me

Will it fit my S?????

Here is an all black DRZ...for your viewing pleasure :cry: :cry: :cry:

black3.jpg

I bought the Clarke after a few postings and searches and loved it this summer. Great range, excellent design, easy mounting. The sales rep at Clarke gave me all kinds of CYA that the color might not match perfect or would have variations, but I found it to look perfect (I bought blue). Maybe they have had some picky buyers....

There was alot of chatter that the Clarke was fat and the IMS was skinny but I concluded that it was a marginal difference at best.

The Clarke works great for me.