CRF250X in Moab

Making my first trip to Moab the first week in Nov. I've read the posts in the riding forums and have a pretty good idea as to the trails, jetting, etc. Got Flatland skid plate and rad guards (I fall over alot)and the free mods. I would like some advise on gearing. I was thinking of going down one tooth in the front to allow me to stay in second gear more to kind of smooth out the power as I'm not real good at slipping the clutch. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks, tom.

I rode my 250X on some trails in Moab last spring. I went down one tooth on the front before I went, and I was sure glad that I did. At first I thought it was too low for general use, but I got used to it and now I always ride with that gearing. But I normally tend to be geared lower than most people.

I don't like the really tecnical stuff, but we found some fun trails:

- Poison Spider

- Kane Creek - my favorite!

- Slick Rock - I got tired of this by about half way around the loop - too much of the same thing.

- Hell's Revenge - We bailed out of Slick Rock and rode Hell's Revenge backwards. It was a blast. The steepest climbs and descents I have every done.

We camp in Bartlett Wash, with access to Monitor/Merimac and 7 mile rim, Gemini Bridges and Canyon rim as well all others, with very little traffic. CRX is perfect there, like a mountain bike with a motor.

Bring an extra shifter. My bent on high speed sand run, and broke when I tried to fix it. Yes, you can ride 8 miles of technical trails in second gear (mostly)

Also, grind down your rear brake pedal (the teeth). Dropped mine and holed the engine cover!! This is a great bike but VERY Friggin' Fragile.