Sign in to follow this  

8 year olds bike??

I was wondering if a heavy duty springs and shock springs would be too harsh for my eight year old boy who weighs only 60 lbs??

I got his bike torn apart because he hydro-locked it. Thought abaout stsiffening the suspension.

Limited money I can spend.

What do you guys think???????

He only weighs 60lb's the stock suspension should suffice for him just fine, it was designed for a person of the weight range anyways. But also stiff springs would probably be way to harsh for him, they are generally pretty stiff for a adult weighing 160lb's, doubt they would even move with him on it.

Damn, thanks for the info.... The problem is he likes taking some jumps and he bottoms out the suspension sometimes, Guess I need to get something a bit bigger, He fits on a CRF80 but not much suspension there.

Hey....a little off the suspension subject...but I have a 6 year old who rides an 03 xr50. He's been riding for just over one year...got the bike on his 5th birthday in sept and he rides 3-4 times a week on our backyard mini track and then usually a few times a month we me at our local track...anyway he's about 50 something lbs and bottoms his bike too. I didn't do anything yet because he tried another xr at the track that had the stiffer springs and heavier shock. He didn't like it. He kept saying it was too springy and that he liked his stock xr better....also said the same thing about Husqvarna that he tried out for a few weeks....he kept going back to the xr. Aparently, it sounds worse to me then it feels to him. So instead I bought the trailbikes 88cc kit with the cam and carb (275.00). I didnt install the carb yet, but the things rips with just the cam and cylinder...It really breathed some new life into the bike. He can come to a rolling stop and then pin the throttle and the rear wheel will burn out for a good 25 feet. He loves it now! When he gets heavier I'll give some aftermarket suspension a try, but for now he's right at home with the bike. Just something else to think about.

Mike

How often does him bottom it out around the track? and does he bottom out really hard? :cry: :cry:

He has ridden at a track only a few times, We mostlt trail ride now , but there are spots where we stop the has some little jumps. He bottoms out everytime he hards hard on it.

DANG! a 50 Lb'er on an 88cc XR50, he must be fast and pretty good too! sounds like he's having fun. id say get a 110 for both of you guys whos kids are bottoming out, sell the 50 used, pay another 300$ and get a used 110!