Specific Oil Question

Ok, I bought some oil based on dealer suggestions before I read all of the posting here - Is the following ok for the CRF450:

Honda HP Trans Oil (SAE 80W/85W w/Anti Friction Additives )

Note: The container sez for 2 Strokes only all over it. Dealer said the 450 is the only 4-stroke that can use this oil?

AMSOIL Synthetic 0W-40 No Friction Modifiers

Note: Any concerns on the synthetic

P.S. I ride in the Phoenix area (hell like conditions)

Thanks in advance

This forum rocks

Honda HP Trans Oil (SAE 80W/85W w/Anti Friction Additives )

Note: The container sez for 2 Strokes only all over it. Dealer said the 450 is the only 4-stroke that can use this oil?

Yes you can use that in your transmission only. HP Trans is what I run in my bike and is one of the oils recommended in your manual. Your dealer is correct when he says the CRF is the only 4-stroke that can use HP Trans.

AMSOIL Synthetic 0W-40 No Friction Modifiers

Note: Any concerns on the synthetic

Yes you can run this in your engine. You can even run an oil containing friction modifiers in your engine side (such as Honda's HP4M w/ Moly). Modifiers such as moly reduce friction (reducing wear and increasing HP). They cannot be used in your transmission side, because they can cause your clutch to slip.

Synthetic oils are great! They are far better than petroleum based oils. Be sure to break your bike in before switching to synthetic oil.

When i talked to a dealer yesterday he said that he runs Spectro 10-40W engine oil in both the engine and transmission, and that it has worked for him. Will i mess up the trans if i do that?

The yammies doesn't seperate their oils ?. What's the reason Honda has done that?

One advantage of having a separate crankcase and tranny side is it prevents "cross contamination" of the 2 oils. Another advantage is you can run the super slick synthetic oils on the crankcase side for better protection and then you can run the best possible oil on the tranny side for your clutches. The downfall is since they are separate your volume of oil for each side is quite small which forces you to change the oils more frequently than you might if they weren't.

Spectro offers a wide range of products with the viscosity 10-40w. Which one are you using? As long as it doesn't contain any additives that reduce friction (such as moly) it will be fine in your tranny. The dealer isn't going to steer you in the wrong direction - especially if it's a CRF owner. ?

I have these to oils, will they work fine in both engine and tranny?

"Golden spectro 4m synthetic/petroleum blend, motorcycle engine lubricant, sae 10w40"

and

"Castrol GPS extreme protection, synthetic technology 4-stroke motorcycle engine oil sae 10w-40"

The way I see it, Honda has done us a favor by seperating the oils. Since the clutch runs in the trans oil, you certainly wouldn't want that circulating trash throughout the crank bearings.Then again, streetbikes run that way (one sump) so who's right? I've run ATF in two-strokes with no ill affects, but then again, they only use the oil in the cases to lube the trans and keep the clutch working. The last owner of my 450 used trans-specific oil in the trans, I use 10w-40 in both the engine and trans, since it's simpler and I've never had any probs at all running the same oil in all the streetbikes I've owned in the past. My theory is that any modern oil you choose that meets Honda's standards will be fine, the main thing is that it's at the proper level and that it's fresh.

• 2 weeks later...

Amsoil is good stuff. I've used in my WR and YZF and now my CRF from day one. In the CRF, I use it on both sides. I haven't use the 0W-40, but I have used the 10W-40 and 20W-50; no issues with either one. Synthetic is the way to good in hot weather and/or hot running engines IMO. I haven't used the Honda but hear it is good as well.

Thanks for the Avatar ?

Personally, I like dino oil in the transmission. And I like 20-50 in the trans too.

For what its worth, I run Mobile1 in the engine and Valvoline 20-50 all climate in the trans.

I change it at five hours. The wild part was, at 40 hours on the bike, my last oil change, the trans oil came out relatively clear....clean...kinda blew me away... ?

• 1 year later...