Sign in to follow this  

Powder coated frames

What are the benefits. I would love to see some picture of some. Anyone have any.

I am thinking about getting an XR 50 powdercoated.

Thanks

Its a pain in the arse to apply, but its thicker than paint, lasts longer, resists chipping better, and looks great :cry:

Durability is the top benefit, second is appearance. Here is an XR200 I rebuilt from ground up, and while the engine was apart I had the frame powder coated white, then clear coated for added durability. If you can take a bike apart, you can do this. It was a piece of cake! Make sure all bearings are removed, and that your powder coater knows what parts not to coat, otherwise you'll be doing a bit of grinding.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/99562276/139848464ADafIX

Plus, many places that do powder coating will touch-up areas that have worn through (bottom frame rails, etc) for no charge, 'cause they want to maintain powder coating's reputation for durability (especially if you are a racer).

Dan.

What is a fair price for powder-coating a frame?

$150.00 and up the more exotic the color the higher the $. If its a bike you plan on keeping a while its well worth the $$$ :cry:

Powder Coating is great, I had my bike done about a year ago and the paint still looks great. The stuff is a lot tougher than paint. You can get all kinds of colors, including pearls and flakes.

This is my YZF450 frame in Charcoal Grey Pearl Flake, the photos really don't do it justice. In the sun the whole frame gleams.

376DSCF0006-med.JPG

376DSCF0036-med.JPG

Grand Prix Kings

Not bad.

Is is practical to powder coat the swingarm as well (matte silver or maybe another color)? These stockers look like utter garbage 8 years later.

Don't think it makes sense to powdercoat the swingarm cuz they tend to hit rocks and such much easier. Plus u get chain lube and chain cleaner all over it, i don't think that is the best stuff for powdercoating.

Don't think it makes sense to powdercoat the swingarm cuz they tend to hit rocks and such much easier. Plus u get chain lube and chain cleaner all over it, i don't think that is the best stuff for powdercoating.

my friend who powdercoated his frame also did his swingarm, it looks awesome! you just have to clean it after every ride like you would always do... :cry:

Looks good. If I saw that on a track though, I'd thinkthe paint was chipping off :cry:

Really though, looks good man :cry:

Kawboy373. I had my son's swinga arm done in silver with a clear coat. It's holding up well and cleans up easily. You can see part of the swing arm on this shot.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/99562276/139843449mmBfKg

For those interested I had mine done locally (for me) at:

http://mypowdercoater.com/Motorcycle_Stuff/motorcycle_stuff.html

Prices start at $85 for a frame. Premium colors and clear coat are extra. Good people to work with.

:cry:

That 450 Frame w/ the pearl in it looks nice!

Does anybody have experience w/ powdercoating rims? I'd like to have black rims, but just can't afford excels, and I heard powdercoating is a option, is it durable enough? Anybody have any first hand experience?

:cry:

I think the powdercoating would hold up fine on the track but on the trail rocks may pose a problem (of course same applies if ur track is rocky, if that is the case i would recommend finding a new track) :cry: