Sign in to follow this  

2000 XR 100

I'm asking this in "General" because I hope to get some quick replies. I found a 2000 XR 100 for my 10 year old son. The bike has been sitting for about 6 months or so. It started on the first kick when I went to look at it, but died right after that. It seems to run "rough" I turned up the idle a little and it did better but still died after it would idle for a minute. It always started right back up though. When it is running there seems to be a lot of valve clatter that I'm hearing. I know the valves might need to be adjusted but is valve clatter noise normal on these little bikes? I'm going to take it to a mechanic to look at it. The owner said he has no problem with me taking it where ever I want to take it. The thing is the bike "looks" pretty good and I can buy it for $600.00 :cry: But I don't want to buy a POS. If this engine needed to rebuilt what do you think it would cost a guy? Any advice would be GREAT!!!! Thank you.

After 6 months I can tell ya the gas in that bike is barely flamable. Todays gas thats full of additives from the EPA starts breaking down as soon as 2 weeks after its made. I would bet this is why the bike doesnt run very well or very long.

Drain the gas and the carb bowl and change the spark plug.. it should be fine after that. :cry:

I cant help ya much with the valve or rebuilt questions... I'm not familiar with XR's :cry: But I'd say any bike that runs for $600 bucks is a pretty good deal.

I have a '01 XR100 that my wife rides. I always, I mean always have to hold the trottle about a 1/4 turn for a bout a 1 min maybe a little more before it will idle on it's own. I've had the bike about 6mo and have not checked the valves yet, but there is quite abit of valve clatter.

After the min or 2 of holding the throttle the bike idles very well.

You'll prob'ly need to pull the carb and clean the pilot jet, maybe replace it....the very tiny hole in it clogs easy and can be a PITA to clear out. But the jet is cheap, a good shop should have it in stock.

And, as stated above, fresh gas is a necessity! :cry:

Well people, I bought it. I took it to a dealer to look at it. Well I embarrased to say I had the choke on. :cry: The owner (Dad) didn't know anything about the bike. It was blowing a little smoke but once it warmed up it went away. I must say it's a little cold blooded. The engine was just re built from the local Honda shop. I guess the kid rode it and the air filter fell off so the dad got it totally re built ($1,300) I called the Honda shop to make sure. Yep it was rebuilt! I think I scored only paying $600.00 for a 2000 XR 100. I've been riding it up and down the streets! :cry:pictures.sprintpcs.com//share.jsp?invite=EEQ2Y9JoYUUpuaNz00U0&shareName=Photo

I'm going to order some new graphics for it, clean it all up, and some new bars. The stock ones are bent....... :cry:

I'd pass on replacing the bars with another OEM, they bend waaay to easy. I got an alum mini-bend Tusk brand at rockymountainmc for ~$20 and am very pleased.

Thanks for the info. I wasn't going to replace them with OEM but I didn't want to spend a lot on the bike either. This bike is going to be a "learner" for him. I want to find some black back ground stickers for the number plates and then put number "99" on it for him. New tires front and rear. New chain guards top and bottom. New bars and that is it. I guess you could say I'm just as excited as I know he will be! I just want to make it look as new as I can for him. Thanks for the replies people!!!!! :cry:

<font color="navy">Bone stock a 2000 XR100 will be very cold blooded (jetted very lean from the factory). With the rebuild they may have richened up the jetting. If it runs and idles clean (now that you know about the choke position), it sounds like a good deal. Just keep up on the oil changes and cleaning the filter and the bike will run forever. All three of my boys learned clutching and riding on our 2000 XR100 (two of them subsequently graduated to 200/250s) and it still rides as well as ever (though it's pretty well beat up cosmetically). I've never had anything break on it, though the foot pegs bent rather easily... Enjoy it!