Sign in to follow this  

Bar Size

Does a short guy, 5'5", with a short reach, want high, or low handlebars? Thanks.

I didn't really ask the right question. I'm guessing Hi bars, are just that, higher, ie, you don't have to reach so far to get to them, and low bars are just the opposite, meaning the bend is less extreme and if the placement in the clamp were the same angle to that of a high bar, the reach on a low bar would be farther. Do I have that right? Thanks.

ummmmmmmmm,, I'm tired,,,, and thus, read what you typed twice,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and stil do not know what it said.. :cry: :cry:

Here about this..

A higher bar is taller,, taller from the clamps up.. Bars are emasured in Rise, sweep, and draw back...

Bar chart in .xls

Take a look at this chart,, it should help you understand what you have, and what is available.

Let me give this one a shot. According to conventional wisdom a taller person normally likes a taller bar. And a shorter person likes a bar not as tall.

The reason why is the relationship between the shoulder level and the bar height. Another consideration that is just as important is sweep or pull back. A shorter person usually wants more than a taller person.

Then you have to mix in the riding style, do you stand? You want a taller bar probably with less sweep. If you sit then a tall bar will become tiring on your shoulders after a while.

See, now that should make it about as clear as mud :cry: One way to see what you might like is to go out to your bike and loosen the handlebar and move it forward out of your way. Sit on the bike with your eyes closed and reach forward to a comfortable position. Have a friend/neighbor/wife/well trained dog rotate the bars back up and see where your hands are in relation to the where the bars are. This will at least get you headed in the right direction.

I'm 5"9 and for me the Moose Aluminum bars that are close to stock with the BigDR risers was a good combo. Once the risers were installed I could ride standing alot easier (And my Suzuki GEL SEAT "encourages" me to stand more). :cry:

10guy, that's the info I was looking for. Thanks, really appreciate it. Bronco78, thanks for the chart, it will come in handy later. Now, another question from a comment Dave made. I took my DR out for a 100 mile ride yesterday, mostly back road and a little gravel. I was thinking the seat was pretty darn hard. What's the gel seat like. Your comment about being encouraged to stand leads me to think it's not what I'm thinking it is. Thanks again fellas.

It's a firm seat with minimal padding and a gel insert to make up for the minimal padding. It takes some getting used to but it does reduce the seat height considerably vs. the stock seat which is why I purchased it. (Used from a TT member like many of my aftermarket parts). Other's have reduced their seat height by carving the stock seat foam down. You'll see the gel seats advertised on Ebay quite often and they normally go used for around $90-$100 (New is $160).

The Gel Seat made my reach to the ground perfect for me (5'9") where as before I was tippy toes with the stock.

I can say that the Suzuki Gel Seat is not for everybody especially if you do any long distance road riding but it worked well for me as I am a 99 percent off-road rider. :cry:

Last Friday I went out for the first ride on my brand new 04' DRZ400E, which also was my first ride in about 30 years! Back in the day I had a Yamaha 250 Enduro. I also noticed that the bars we're too short, I'm 6-0 and when I stand on the pegs I need to hunch way over and/or bend my knees to much, so this discussion is helpful. I’ll try the close your eyes trick and see what happens. The reason I bought the bike is a planned trip with some riding friends down to the Copper Canyon in Mexico for a seven day adventure next February. Which brings me to my next question, I have noticed the seat is a little hard and I'm sure on a seven day trip I'll get a lot of seat time. The bike height wise is fine for me so I don't want to cut down the seat height, is there an available seat that would provide a little more padding while maintaining the same height? Possible some advice on modifying it at an upholstery shop? On of the guys I was with last Friday has an old DR350 and that seat is comfortable. Thanks

Doug

The gel seat also has a definate crown to it, so instead of sitting on it you sort of sit around it :cry: Think of it as really thick butt floss :cry:

Thankfully I have long legs :cry:

One other thing about all gel seats, don't park them in the sun :cry: The gel does a lot better job of absorbing heat than disapating it.

I have noticed the seat is a little hard and I'm sure on a seven day trip I'll get a lot of seat time. The bike height wise is fine for me so I don't want to cut down the seat height, is there an available seat that would provide a little more padding while maintaining the same height? Possible some advice on modifying it at an upholstery shop? On of the guys I was with last Friday has an old DR350 and that seat is comfortable. Thanks

Doug

I used to hate the seat but after around 2000 miles it really softens up :cry:, or did I just lose all the feeling in my ass :cry: :cry: :cry: