Sign in to follow this  

Changing tires on 1998 Z50

Hi, Im trying to change tires on my 98 z50 but this is proving harder than it looks. I have a 12-ton shop press which i was using to break the beads. I had the wheel/tire sandwiched between the 2 arbor plates but still nothing. Does any have any tips for changing these tires??? Thanks!

unless u plan to keep the tires, i suggest cutting them off.....but anyways, when i chaged the tire and tube on my 85 z50, i didn't have to cut the tire......i clamped it in a bench vise and worked it off little by little until it came off, i ahve also heard that one of those propane torches is very handy in changeing z50 tires also.

I should have stated before, changing the tire isnt the hard part because the wheel is a 2 piece so thats just a matter of undoing a few nuts and bolts. The problem is breaking the bead of the tire off the wheel. I guess thats what 6 years of not having a tire off does to ya and I cant wait to change the tires on my 1991 Z50 either, haha. Any special techniques or tools for seperating the bead from the wheel? Im gonna keep the old tires just in case but cutting them did cross my mind a few times... Thanks.

If I had a 12 ton press when I was changing Z50 tires last, I would look for a ring of steel, iron pipe, whatever, a little larger than the rim, leave the rims bolted together, spray the bead with PB Blaster penetrant, and press away!!

Robert :cry:

Just like Pimpin' says, use a bench vise, and place 2 small pieces of wood on either side of the tire, in the vise jaws. It is a slow, tedious process, working your way around the whole wheel, but it works. Leave the wheels bolted together, and make sure you have the valve stem removed from the tube.

Thanks for all the help everyone! Sorry I miss understud you Pimpin Racer, I'm sure I'll be able to get them off now.

Hi, I went home this weekend and got to change the tires out for new 4.80-8's and they are so bada**! Had to put a 12 tooth front sprket on but it makes up for the 2" larger diameter on the tires that the stock chain couldnt. Using the vice and long pry bar worked out good. Here is a link of a pic of it, check it out. Thanks.

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/10/web/466000-466999/466060_104_full.jpg

I got these off our snow blower we never use. They are brand new and let me tell ya that they will go through mud and whatever you can through at them and not miss a beat. Make sure when you do get these you get a 12 tooth sprocket for stock length chain. A 13 will bring stock gear ratio's back but you will still rub on the front of the swing arm, 12 should clear okay but I havent put it in yet. Heres a pic of my bro's 50 with stockers vs mine, good luck. http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/10/web/466000-466999/466060_105_full.jpg

Thanks for posting that chain and sprocket info.

My youngest kids aren't really interested in dirtbikes and like ATV's better. :cry: So, I plan on selling our three smallest bikes to buy a ranch/utility type ATV. My wife thinks the Z50's are "way too cute" and gave me the greenlight to buy a couple to putt around on. Hopefully that will help keep the peace at camp while my oldest son and I are out "Riding the Rockies". :cry:

Just to let every one know, I got the 12 tooth sprocket on but you will have to do a little grinding to make everything fit correctly. Due to the small size you have to grind the outside edges of the retainer bracket to clear the chain links. No big deal if you have all the proper tools. Now the rear tire is a little more than 1/4", better than rubbing on the swingarm but the good thing is that the chain can be adjusted properly now. Deffinetly a worth while mod for the 50's! 50 pic