Sign in to follow this  

Should I get a 150 or a 230?

I am 14 years old 120 pounds and I am thinking about getting a bike aroundt the size of a 150 to 250. I have been riding mini bikes for around a year, but have never ridden anything with gears and that is capable of over 30 mph. I am naturally a pretty good rider and my judgement is pretty good. I want a bike that I can jump and to wheelies with too. I also need to know some gear that is a good value. What do you gets think?

about 5'5, I can sit on a 230 pretty good.

I'd go with the 230 then. As you get older and better you'll still be able to ride it.

Plus the 230 is a easier bike to sell, hence the name "wife bike"

:cry: There is a good chance i'll be buying used too. Does yamaha make a good 4 stroke? Also, will I be able to jump the 230 or is it to heavy?

:cry: There is a good chance i'll be buying used too. Does yamaha make a good 4 stroke? Also, will I be able to jump the 230 or is it to heavy?

Yamaha makes the TTR but is garbage, and a YZ250F which is a MX bike.

You can jump a 230 but it's hard. You will need suspension mods and able to land right! :cry:

The 150 and 230's have very good suspension for what they were designed for. If all you have ever ridden is a mini bike, you will have much to learn in riding skills before you attempt your first "jump". Either bike will suit your needs for years, as the two bikes are ergonomically very similar. I would recommend the 150 as there are more used ones advertised for sale, the 150 has a little lower seat height and is a little lighter as well. These items will make your beginning riding adventures a little less stressful, and hopefully more fun.

The 150 and 230's have very good suspension for what they were designed for. If all you have ever ridden is a mini bike, you will have much to learn in riding skills before you attempt your first "jump". Either bike will suit your needs for years, as the two bikes are ergonomically very similar. I would recommend the 150 as there are more used ones advertised for sale, the 150 has a little lower seat height and is a little lighter as well. These items will make your beginning riding adventures a little less stressful, and hopefully more fun.

I agree since its your first bike. I could have had the 150 but i decided to stay smaller for my first bike. :cry:

230f...whats wrong with the yamaha ttr's? personally, i prefer the ttr-125 over the crf 150 any day. lets see....178 lbs vs. what? 206? i could slap on a big bore kit and not weigh even close to 206 or whatever the crf 150 is. the crf230 is good, as the ttr-230 is good. i perosnally that a ttr would outpull the crf 150. besides, the ttrs are bullet proof....so what could be possibly wrong with the ttr's?

230f...whats wrong with the yamaha ttr's? personally, i prefer the ttr-125 over the crf 150 any day. lets see....178 lbs vs. what? 206? i could slap on a big bore kit and not weigh even close to 206 or whatever the crf 150 is. the crf230 is good, as the ttr-230 is good. i perosnally that a ttr would outpull the crf 150. besides, the ttrs are bullet proof....so what could be possibly wrong with the ttr's?

Power wise, the TTR's just isnt there. Plus the suspension on the TTR's is much worse than the CRF's. He's going to be jumping and stuff and he needs a bike that has power and has a better suspension, in other words, a CRF...

lets say he gets kicked off the jump...is it easier to correct a 178 lb bike or a 206 lb bike. with the exception of 25cc and like 30 lbs, i think theyre about the same

When he's a beginner, think he can fix the bike from whippin out anyways? When he does he'll want a bigger bike.

i dont think he will be whipping out or anything, and neither have i. heck, ive never been on a motocross track, just woods jumps. personally, i think it would be easier to correct, even if i didnt know how to. anyways, im just rambling on seeing that im wwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to tired to be on the internet anyways

Seeing as your 5'5 i wonder if your dealer lowered the 230F's suspension... seeing since iam 5'7 i can get the front part of my foot down just good enough to stable WELL... you may want to ask your dealer if YOU decide to go into the CRF230. Your wieght and hieght is similiar to mine so i would say the CRF150 is your best bet starting out..... If i would have gotten a bigger starter bike i would have killed myself hence i broke my collar bone two saturdays ago on my 150... The 150 is an awsome, very responsive bike when riding. The new 05' models have thier jetting problems solved due to new different number jets which makes the bike easier to start. So in my opinion, you should hop on a CRF150 :cry: CRF150 has good jump ability but nothing compared to moto-cross bikes. AS you grow you should buy the CRF250 (like me) for suspension and more power (no sense in getting the 230 except for money purposes). The wheelie response is not all that great on my bike due to the jets but i can wheelie purrty good on my bike.....the 05's should have better reponse....

AS for gear.... Fox makes very good jerseys as well as pants... (FOx tactic or strafer jeresy and 180 race pants) I wouldnt go with thier helmets due to many complanining of thier durabilty. My top of the line Answer helmet has saved my life plenty so i would get one of those or a "thor" helmet. Scott and Oakley goggles are good produts... some models have rip offs for racing (if your into that) NOW for boots... i WOULD DEFINATLEY go with the AlpineStar Tech 6's or Tech 8's.... these boots are a little hard to break in.. I suggest walking up-hill to break these suckers in... HAVE FUN :cry:

-red rider-

Nice post Red Rider!

You may want to look into Thor AC gear if it is hot in your area. You may want to get something used if your light on cash. HJC also makes good helmets and has saved my head a dozen times. It also saved my brothers head last weekend. Alpinestars makes great boots. You can look into the M4 or the M6 for boots if your light on the budget, but these boots still protect really well. You will find a chest protector a must. Goggles should be worn too, but if I highly recomend Dragon MDX for the cheapest goggles that still perform awesome. Mine don't let a lot of dust in, and they don't fog up! Simple design making them cheap, but really functional (not a spokesperson from Dragon)

You will also want knee guards. You can either get a cheap pair for 10 bucks or so that the knee cap just floats over your knee, or you can get pivoting knee guards like the Fox Raptor and the Thor. Both attach above the kneecap and below and the knee cap pivots to stay in place. Both work really well and I recomend them both.

How old are all you guys with the 150s? Do they have good enough suspension to hold up my dad at 230 pounds? I'm not getting a ttr 125 because they look like junk. :cry:

How old are all you guys with the 150s? Do they have good enough suspension to hold up my dad at 230 pounds? I'm not getting a ttr 125 because they look like junk. :cry:

If he can touch the ground on a 230, get him that, or even a CRF250X if he does trails :cry:

Yes, im 15 and still ride my 150. Im hoping to switch up to a CRF250R Or YZ250F(if they get an aluminum frame on it.) next year. :cry: :cry: