Sign in to follow this  

xr250 power

I have been looking at xr400's, but have found a few xr 250's that have been tempting.

I currently have a 93 Suzuki DR250S (dual sport version), but want to update to newer bike and more power. The DR250 has been a great bike, but I would like to have enough power to pull the front wheel off the ground when needed.

I have ridden a couple of xr400s and they have great power. What is the opinion of some owners of newer xr250s? I see the weight is very similar.

Thanks

Personaly, Dont bother with the XR250. Just get the 400!

Thats what I did.

My brother had the 250 and I had the 400, and everything about my 400 was better! not just the power, the handeling, and just the general feel of it, the 400 was alot better!

And yes, you are correct, the weight of the 250 and 400 is very close! and with the 400 having that much more power over the 250, the 400 feels more nimble and manouverable though tracks, rather than the 250 feeling slugish and guttless!

Here in Australia in most states, when you get your motorcycle licence, for the first year you cant ride a bike with a larger capacity than 250. So the only reason why somone would be keeping the 250, is because they havnt got their big bike licence yet! So nearly everyone, as soon as the year is over, they sell it and get a 400! Hence, the 400 being such a better bike with more power and the rest!

Ive also ridden a DR250, and the XR250 is VERY SIMILAR! In the amount of power they have that is. I think you'd be dissapointed if you got the XR250, its just too much the same as the DR250.

Mabey you'd like to stick with Suzuki? the DRZ400 is another Bloody good bike! More power than an XR400 for sure!

But if you were to get the XR400 (which you definatly should!) De-restrict it straight away! and new UNI filter, and all the stuff they recomend here.

You'll Love It! :cry:

Especially if your used to a DR250!

I pulled the baffle out of my muffler, opened up the air box, and bored it to 284CC and still could not get the front wheel up easily at speed. Get the 400 and you will not regret it, unless of course you want to go with the CRF 450R or X, which is what I did. Plenty power now.

We have both. The 400 rides much like the 250 but with a significant power increase. Unless you are small, I'd lean towards the 400.

I've owned and ridden both the xr400 and the xr250. My riding includes rocky technical stuff, woods, open desert. Pretty much everything. I'm 5'9", 170lbs. My choice between the two is the xr250 hands down. Both are excellent bikes, but I enjoy the handling and power delivery better. For my riding, the xr250 has plenty of power in stock form. But keep in mind that it does need to be ridden hard. I ride mine wide open or in the higher RPM range most of the time. It is a very fun little bike.

R

I have no problem keeping up with the bigger bikes in the tight woods on my XR 250; ie. KTM 525, Gas Gas 250; but I do have to really work to stay in touch. I too am 5'6" and my CRF 450 is a challenge at times but I do not have to work nearly as hard to stay with the group on the CRF as I did on the XR. It really all comes down to rider prefference and style. but remember, "There is no replacement for displacement." My XR 250 is 20# heavier on the front end than my KX 125. That is a lot of weight up front.

Are you Dead Sure that the XR250 and XR400 are the same bike and frame and everything exept the engine?

Are you realy realy Sure?? How do you know? Guessing? Or is that Fact?

Because I was lead to beleive that they were slightly different frame and everything! And from having the two bikes at the same time and riding them to compare them, they felt totaly different! The 400 felt bigger, and better handeling. and the 250 felt smaller. Also the seat to handle bars measurement felt different between the two as well.

I think I'll get a second opinion and get back to you. For all I know you may be rite! Im just very suprised, I thought everyone knew that they were two different bikes!

But still, Im pretty sure they are, They just felt SO different!

I have a 02' 250 and now that I've done the Gordon mods and a suspension update up front - I really like the bike. I mostly ride tighter trails (and often have my kid tagging along on his XR80),so the additional power isn't a big deal. If I were riding more open high-speed territory, dunes etc though - I'd definitely go for the 400 (or better yet the crf450.)

I like both bikes. My 15 yr old son commented after riding my XR400, quote "the XR400 feels just like my XR250, only with a lot more power". I tend to agree with his assesment. I only miss the XR400 when I'm on long steep hills, or in wide open terrain. But that's also when I miss my old XR600.