Sign in to follow this  

SuperMotard

I've seen some have converted to supermotard and have changed back to dual sport. What was the reasoning for the change back? What are the draw backs to the 17inch wheels?

I see the new suzuki motard but nobody has ridden it in comparison the the dual sport model, or have they?

The reasons I can think are less high speed stability, less ground clearance and less ability to roll over large objects. Any others?

less high speed stability to supermoto ?!

wheel is wider therfor has more surface which touch the road therfor more stability...

I'm very close to gettin my Motard setup goin. Basically just a front rim and master cylinder away... Someday Ill finish it. :cry:

Anyhoo I plan on getting another 320mm disc and keeping the dirt wheels too. You can change um so fast why not have the best of both worlds. :lol::cry: :cry:

I keep thinking I should buy another DRZ though. Its just outa control. :cry: :cry:

I sold my DRZ wheel set to eddie mainly because I felt like I was beating the motor to much in street trim and if I wanted a street bike I should buy one. :cry:

I built my honda to race supermoto on. The DRZ can be just as much fun with stock rims with street type tires for playing around town with in my opinion. It just will not turn as fast as it will with 17's. Also the stock brake system leaves a little to be desired for road assult.

That being said, I really miss my supermoto set up from the DRZ. That bike was the coolest bike in my area in my opinion, it turned heads wherever I went. I plan on buying another set up when I can. :cry: :cry:

Since the bike turns much faster with the 17's, does it suffer stability issues at interstate speeds?

Linco, thanks for parting with your stuff.....I feel lucky to have inherited some of it! I'm having a ball! :cry: :cry:

I found it turns slower at slow speed, thanks to the increased contact patch. At higher speed it turns quicker because of the reduced gyroscopic force which more than offsets the increased contact patch, which you roll over quicker at higher speed anyway. And I found no stability problems at all, flicking through 130+ kph (~ 80 mph) sweepers without any dramas or stability problems.

:cry:

I agree w/Linco I have headshake problems w/my 01 S model

w/knobbies w/stock gearing on street @78-80 m.p.h. indicated

on street,Hence my purchase of G.P.S. steering dampner for this one.But w/my supermoto bike w/17's & dropped fork tube

in upper triple clamps,hence lower stance much more stability gained @speed. :cry:

Hey 69T/A

No need to drop the front, you will lose some stability if you do. Remember, when you put 17's on you already lower the front by at least 3 inchs. I lowerd the rear of my bike with the kouba link and left the forks at the highest setting for more stability!!

In the offroad world you lower the forks in the clamps when you want to turn faster. But you lose on high speed stability. :cry:

I've seen some have converted to supermotard and have changed back to dual sport. What was the reasoning for the change back? What are the draw backs to the 17inch wheels?

I'm one of the guys that removed the 17" wheels from the DRZ and took it back to dual-sport mode. I had a LOT of fun on the 17" wheels, but I found the bike lacking in a few areas (especially in the suspension and brakes).

I was trying the one-bike-does-it-all approach, which just didn't work out. Dirt suspension is too soft on the street, and I didn't want to be changing suspension bits. The whole idea was to have a quick (30 minute) swap between full dirt, dual-sport or motard. The motard idea just ended up being too much of a compromise.

So, the DRZ went back to dual sport / dirt mode, and I picked up a pair of KTM Duke II's for street motard hooliganism. :cry: Much 'mo better brakes, suspension, more comfy seat, and an extra 240 cc doesn't hurt! :cry:

Thanks,

Brandon