Sign in to follow this  

HELP! bike jolting

Hey guys, gotta problem here. I took my new 03KLX400SR out for it's first full day run. No real complaints but it seemed that every time my rear wheel came a bit off the ground, and I was in 2nd gear, the entire bike would jolt. I noticed it happenned no matter what position the throttle was being held in. It almost threw me off a couple times when I was standing up. Maybe this is a rider issue and not a bike issue, not sure. Anyone have any ideas? Maybe different gearing would help? I'm at a loss. THANKS!

Well anythime the rear wheel comes off the ground you lose ALL forward propulsion. Different suspension set-up to help keep the rear on the ground is your best solution.

The chain doesn't feel tight. That was the first thing I checked and then I realized it was happenning when the rear wheel was coming up off the ground.

What type of suspension adjustment would you recommend? I haven't messed with it yet...still like it came from the dealer. I'm 6'2" and 155lbs. Riding about 50/50 dirt/trail. The problem, obviously, happens on the trail.

Thanks for the help, guys! I appreciate it.

It most likly your kickstand safty switch. When you land the kickstand moves and causes that. Please go to this website and start taking stuff off the darn thing. :cry:

Click on DRZ400S info. :cry:

http://drz.info/

The kickstand switch may have a lot to do with it too. I had the same problem so I ripped it and the clutch switch off. But if that isn't it you may want to loosen the rebound adjustment. It will show you how to do that in the manual. Doing this will allow the shock to rebound quicker after hitting a bump. There will be two rebound setting high speed and low speed(no that does not refer to the speed of the bike) try loosening them both up a little. Two clicks on the low and one on the high.

It most likly your kickstand safty switch.

My vote too. Remove that switch before you hurt yourself and then I bet the problem is gone. :cry:

Yes all that and when you check your chain make sure you sit on the bike to check it out, you will see it gets much tighter when you sit

Every time I stood up the bike would "jolt". I soon realized that my size 13s would press down on the kickstand of my DRZS and cut the ignition. I disabled the kickstand switch, problem solved.

It most likly your kickstand safty switch. When you land the kickstand moves and causes that. Please go to this website and start taking stuff off the darn thing. :cry:

Click on DRZ400S info. :cry:

http://drz.info/

funny....I was thinking the EXACT same thing. :cry:

Hey! That kickstand thing makes sense. After you guys say that I realized that yes indeed my foot does tend to rest on the kickstand. I'll try it out tomorrow after work and let y'all know if it works. THIS IS WHY I LOVE THIS WEBSITE. THANKS ALOT! :cry: