Sign in to follow this  

Need HELP adjusting mynew DRZ-400S Suspension

OK, this is my 2nd attempt to use TT's forum. Last night I made mistakes :cry: insulted people by accident, etc. (I didn't mean to guys, I swear!) as I use this dang computer of mine and this TT forum for help. I had NO idea this is such a cool tool!! You guys are unbelievable :cry:

My problem is suspension-related. Basically, I bought a brand new DRZ-400-S b/c it rated as the best dual sport on the market. As of today, I now have a total of 410 miles on it. The problem is I'm too short for it, and you guys are saying I need to adjust my suspension. Can you guys w/ experience tell me how I adjust my suspenion? I can turn a screw or two but don't know how to apptoach the adjustment problem. How do I know whether I need more dampening, less dampening, more or less compressions, etc. I would like to bike to be shorter, and I assume if it's "softer", then when I sit on it it will sit lower... Basically, I don't know where to start in terms of making adjustments. All I know is that it's set at the factory specs, (I assume somewhere in the mid-range), and I'm short. Should I screw the rear spring down tighter? Any responses would be totally appreciated! :cry:

You can laugh at me now but I don't know what a "sag" is or what an IMO is. Can you please explain?

I have been rur info for 1.5 hrs now. Thank you so much! What a help you guys have turned out to be!!! I hope I can repay the favor someday!! My son and I are grateful!

/s/

-Stephen

I have learned "how" to start the process. I can't type (should say spell) either. No it's still sitting. I meant to say I "read" for 1.5 hours all of y'alls resposes/suggestions, and now understand what I need to do! :cry:

My buddie bought a Suzuki gel seat. And it lowered him to the ground by about an inch. I dont care for it as it dip's down right in front of the tank. So when you shift your wieght back you have a tendancy to keep slpping forward. My buddy say's once you get use to it it's no problem and he loves the seat.

I got gutsy and did my first-ever suspension adjustment on y'all's advice. I basically measured the sag and had about 110mm of sag w/ me on it (the difference between the sag present w/out me on it and then w/ me on it. I've only tested it by driving it around the block but it's definately stiffer-feeling. It's now at ~95mm of sag. Did I do it right?

Sounds about right. If the bike is brand new it could settle a bit and even get lower.

You may need a set of Kouba links. Do a search.

I read about some but then it said (on Kubota's [spelling?]site) that whatever I did to the rear I needed to do up front or else I'd have an unstable bike. Problem is, I'm just learning and don't know enough yet to know what to do without the possibility of screwing something up.

If you get the Kouba lowering links, then it is best to lower the front as well. You can only lower the front 1/2" with the stock handlebars by raising the fprk tubes before they hit the handlebars. If you install the links, then the sag settings you have now are out the window because the leverage is different on the shock. I lowered mine 1.75 rear and 1.25 front with a custom set of risers I made for the bars. It works fine. I use it for forest roads and easy trail riding and handling isn't an issue. Don't trust me, there are suspension gurus among us. Do a search.

BTW... You might have fork tubes instead of fprk tubes :cry:

What's th difference? My tired :moon:from riding today (all day) has me wiped out. :cry: Time to ride that tempurpedic a got in the other room! :cry:

Anyways, whats the diff?

BTW... You might have fork tubes instead of fprk tubes :cry:

Jeez, you are tired :cry:

I love holidays... Nothing like a 3-day weekend! Yep, I was wiped out worse than I thought! :cry: