Shifting speed question

My new Suzuki DRZ-400S manual says I can shift into 5th at 30 mph. If I do, it bucks like it's in too high of a gear! Based on engine sounds (since there's no tach), 4th at 25 mph doesn't make it "buck". What's the deal? Mybike is new w/ only 400 miles bought 9/15/04. HELP! Is something wrong w/ it? Thanks for the help guys!

I agree, shift at or near rev limiter and repeat...!!! ?

Don't listen to the manual. It lies. You can rev that thing out all day. In fact thats the proper way to break it in!

Hard. Very hard.

Shift in 5th at 75MPH after you rev out in 4th. ? :cry:

Anyone else will say the same thing. ? :cry:

I just wondered if there's something wrong b/c the bucking doesn't make sense! If it bucked in 4th under "near" the same load, and (based on sound, hence the same RPMs) 5th, then I'd conclude it's running in too high a gear. BUT, it doesn't buck in 4th at all, and it bucks "bad" in 5th (again, assuming RPM's are about the same based on sound of the engine). I just don't want to miss a potential prob. that the warranty would cover before it's too late, know what I mean?

My new Suzuki DRZ-400S manual says I can shift into 5th at 30 mph. If I do, it bucks like it's in too high of a gear! Based on engine sounds (since there's no tach), 4th at 25 mph doesn't make it "buck". What's the deal? Mybike is new w/ only 400 miles bought 9/15/04. HELP! Is something wrong w/ it? Thanks for the help guys!

Lugging an engine is even more important to avoid when breaking in an engine than over-revving it....very bad. I think 5th gear at 30 mph. and 4th at 25 mph. would qualify as lugging but I could be wrong. I would do as the others have said and run it through the gears and change the oil early and often during the break in phase. ?

I am getting mixed nifo between what I read on the net and in the manual. Was told by dealer when I got the bike Sept. 15 (2004) not to maintain constant speeds, and per book run under 1/2 throttle for 1st 500 miles, then don't exceed 3/4 throttle for next 500 miles. Dang lot of riding to me to break one in. I just got 400 on it and a sore ? by 4pl today. I changed the oil at 200 miles, and also bought a couple extra filters and some synthetic iol to switch to. Thanks Dude!

Buck???

Are you dropping your RPM when you shift? Using your clutch properly?

Dont sweat the break in deal... at 400 miles you are pretty mutch broken in. Just ride the bike and remember that too low of an RPM is not good. Ride it where it feels comfortable and has good power

The bucking is caused by not having enough rpm's to maintain the power necessary for smooth running. The difference is the gear ratio, in fourth you have enough torgue to overcome a high gear situation, however fifth is geared higher therefor would require more torque to stay as smooth.