Sign in to follow this  

XR200R engine studs

I have a 2000 XR200R. I'm replacing the 4 engine studs. How tight do they need to be? Do I put locktite on the threads that go into the crankcase? When everything is put together and I go to screw the head nut caps on. The 2 head nut caps that go on the long studs and 1 of the head nut caps that goes on the short stud works just fine. The other head nut cap that goes on the other short stud doesn't work right. Only a few threads are showing above the cylinder head cover. I tried using the washer and then the nut. I was tightening the nut(20 ft/lbs) on when it stripped the threads in the nut. If I don't use the washers I think there will be enough threads showing that the nut should tighten down. Don't know if this is ok to not use the washers. If I use the washers I'm afraid I might strip another nut. Any help?

It sounds like you inserted the studs to deep.

loctite wouldnt hurt. I would use blue loctite.

there should be a brass washer before the head nut.

I inserted the studs and then tightened them. They weren't real real tight. How tight should they be?

There are more threads on one end of the stud than the other. Which end should go into the crankcase?

Lar, I assembled an XR200 engine from 3 different ebay engines. The studs I used were oddly a few mm short between them. You will have to figure out which ones are longer and which are shorter. I had the reverse problem- my studs were too long. (And still are, I am using washers to make up the difference.)