Sign in to follow this  

A few questions about the 250F

I need some help. I'm thiking about getting a new bike to ride in the woods and at the local MX track. I was thinking of getting a Husky TE, but my one-and-only local dealer just dropped Husky from their line-up.

I currently have a '02 KDX200, which is a much better bike than I expected when I bought it, but everything on it is out-dated. The geometry is compact (great for the woods but bad everywhere else) and it's just kinda Ho-Hum in most resepects. The biggest shortfall is the suspension. It just isn't up to what I ask of it. I could put a grand into it, but I still think it would be marginal

SO, I was thinking of a 450, but I don't know if I would ever use the power. Even at an MX track, the KDX seems to have adequate power, though it could stand to have a little more snap.

I've also ridden a KTM ex/c 300 and 200 as well as a YZ250 and CRF450. All great bikes, but somehow I think the YZ250F would be the right machine for me. I think it would be great in the woods and fine one the track... much better than my KDX.

My biggest concern is the power. As I said, I think the power of the KDX is adequate and it is rated at around 37hp. From what I've seen, the 250F has around 33hp.

I know all about the rev range and power characteristics of four strokes, but is that enough to make up for it.

I'm 5'11" and probably 195lbs with gear on.

I've also ridden a TTR250 that's got a pipe and jet kit and it felt terribly underpowerd, even next to my stock KDX200. I know the TTR is a joke compared to the YZ250F, but I thought I would include that.

:cry:

Thanks in advance,

Manny

PS Any other ideas for bikes are welcome, but I know where most of your guys stand :cry:

There are bigger riders on 250F's than what you list and I am one of them.

Unless you are a good rider, the 450F has the power to get you hurt. I'm not trying to scare you, but the power can be very intimidating. The 250F power is very controllable, it will not scare you. The 250F does have some disadvantages though. There is no power blip to clear some short approach jumps. I cased a short approach jump last night and sit here this morning somewhat banged up, but no major damage.:cry:

I could have used a couple more ponies for just an instant though......:cry:

I was thinking of getting a Husky TE, but my one-and-only local dealer just dropped Husky from their line-up.

you dont have to get a husqvarna from your local dealer, you can get it elsewhere and shipped to you. husky's are good bikes for sure.

i heard that the 450 is not so good in the lower rpms and is really for racing and not to good on trails

just my 2 cents

The YZ450, speaking from experience, and not hearsay, can be a great trail bike with a few simple modifications, but is something of a handful.

On the other hand, my son's 250F is a gas to ride in tight trail situations and beat up on the big bikes. The little thumpers actually produce about 36 hp stock, which last time I looked, was more than anything in its class except a KTM 125, which has a half horse more for a fleeting instant. They're great on an MX track too.

If that's what you're comfortable with, go for it. You'll like it. :cry:

B12,

I just bought an 04 YZ-250F and it feels great and like a perfect fit. Of course, I am intimidated currently by the power of the bike and vision plenty of crashes while I learn to ride it... :cry:

I am 6'0" and 185 lbs. It seems like a perfect fit for my size.

I guess the issue is how much power do you need. On the street, my Bandit 1200 puts something like 118hp to the rear wheel. I can use it, but not very often.

I think the "not very often" part is why a 250F will make a great bike. Seems like you can ride it without getting yourself in too much trouble. A 450 would be a hand full in tight woods.

As far as the high power blip, I would only need that in one situation at the track I usually ride. There is a 80' table top about 20' after a 180* turn. Even if I had the power I don't think I would try to hit that. :cry:

My skills just aren't there... yet.

I think I really just need to find someone that's got one and will let me try it out.

I would hate to buy one and be disapointed, but I doubt that will be the case.

Thanks for the imput!

:cry: