Sign in to follow this  

Ouch.... my neck!

Today while trying to advance my skills in the whoops, I hurt my neck. Basically towards the end, the rear end slapped the whoop I guess and jerked up causing my neck to jerk pretty far. I took a break after that but I didn't feel any pains at all. Now as I am ready for bed, I feel the soreness. Do you guys recommend the neck braces? I don't really see them as a necessity safety equipment (such as chest protectors, knee pads, etc) from the riders at the local track besides a few using them here and there. I don't really care what others are using for protection here at my local track, but if this type of device is suppose to eliminate this type of neck injury/pain, then I might want to invest in one. What do you guys think?

You break a rib, it hurts, you break your neck- you can die. Or compress your neck and it will have pain for a LONG time.

I'm in the process of gtting a neck roll and I'm sure I'll be glad I did. I took a fall last year that still gives me some pain in the neck.

Sorry to hear about your neck man... but anyways I dont use a neck brace because I never hurt my neck lol..Ive crashed many times though believe me. Um.. how old are u? that plays a factor in this equation. If you havent been riding longer then 2 years and your above the age of 40 I would wear 1. And for those whoops just look way ahead of them, if you look at them it cause you to slow down and screw up. :cry:

The braces will help from over extending the neck but will not help with a direct hit to the top of the head. I broke my neck 5 months ago on a high speed get off in the dez and am recovering from it. I am lucky that I am alive and can walk, but the pain will be there for awhile and the titanium is permanent. I have given up bikes and have gone to quads as they are a bit safer. The neck and back are the most fragile on the body so wear whatever you can find to protect them. I wear the EVS2 brace on my neck now. Remember - dress for the crash.

Ti-Diddy

The braces will help from over extending the neck but will not help with a direct hit to the top of the head. I broke my neck 5 months ago

Wow! Sorry to hear about your crash and thank goodness it wasn't even worse. You're definitely right about the neck being fragile. Hyper-Extension is the most fragile point where death is likely to occur if the wrong situation, even a "fluke" one, happens.

Someone had told me, and although I'm not sure it's true it does make some sense, that people often shrug their shoulders when they fall and the braces will also then give protection as they'll help seat the helmet better thus making the neck/helmet/shoulders more of a "stable group" and less likely for any one of them to bounce around on their own. Now, this may apply more to the design of the neck nut style protection. Not sure.

All I know is that I've got a roll on order and will be wearing it from then on.

And yup, BeRmBlaStEr69, I am over 40 (42) so I'm definitely getting older.... or is it smarter?? :cry::cry:

It was a fluke. I was wearing everything - Asterisk knee braces, Tech 8s, chest protector, elbow pads, and hit the ground at 70MPH head first. The only injury was a broken neck (crushed C6) and I was numb in the hands until the surgery - big time lucky.

I just turned 50 and have been riding for 35 years. I have always worn protective gear because no matter how good you are or how cautious you are - stuff happens.