Sign in to follow this  

'85 XR350R oil issue

I'm brand new to the forum and have a question that I couldn't find an answer for in the archives.

I just finished a full rebuild of an '85 XR350R. I filled the oil per "rebuilt" specs (something like 2.1 qts), kicked it and ran in for a couple of minutes to get it warmed up. I checked the lower oil level plug and oil poured out when the bike was upright but not when on the sidestand (the manual says the oil should be level with the threads at the bottom of the hole). I checked the level at the dipstick in the frame (dry sump model) and it didn't register! I'm thinking the oil is not making it back up into the tank in the frame. The oil pump was rebuilt by XR's Only in Hesperia, CA. so I trust it was done right. Does anyone have a quick check to know if the oil is making its rounds? I'm afraid to run it until I'm certain I won't ruin my brand new motor.

Regards,

Garrett

If this is the dry sump model, you have to warm up engine before checking oil. Let is warm up and take it out for a short ride short shifting mid-low rpms. Then kill engine and check oil within 1 minute.

It should register.

Cher'o,

Dwight

Dwight - Thanks for the response. I read a posting about someone who bought a bike that had developed problems that were eventually attributed to over-filling the oil. It said the former owner probably checked it cold and kept adding oil. I didn't see anything in my manual (Haynes) saying it needed to be checked warm so I can see why that could be the problem. I'll give it a shot but I'm nervous as hell. I don't want to ruin the new motor. Can you think of some way I can check that the oil is making its rounds before I run it? - Garrett

I went ahead started the bike and warmed it up for about five minutes. I checked the dipstick level immediately afterward and it didn't register. Removal of the lower inspection bolt again had oil pouring out. Any suggestions? - Garrett

You warmed it for 5 minutes ? That is too long to idle. I bet you didn't ride the bike. You must develop enough rpm to properly pump the oil back to the tank. That doesn't mean ride it hard . Just ride it at low to med. RPM.

Dwight

Given I live in a condo with a small parking lot I did my best but you're right...I wouldn't call it a ride per se. I'll trailer it to the local postage stamp sized offroad park this weekend and ride it. Here's hoping I don't ruin anything.

Regards,

Garrett

<font color="navy">Man, I loved my '85 XR350. Great bikes. Anyway, I always checked the oil fully warmed up. If you are confident you didn't underfill it, do go ahead and ride it a bit until fully warmed, then check the oil via dipstick -- making sure the bike is upright and level. That should give you your best reading. If I remember correctly, the different in oil level between mildly warm and fully warmed was remarkable...