Sign in to follow this  

2005 crf450.. yahoo!!! moly or no moly im confused???

Im a proud new owner of a 2005 crf450r, killer fun...

But am confused on what types of oil are safe for my bike. Dealer says moly blends in engine are ok but not in tranny. book states not to use moly blends. friends reccomend mobile one red cap for engine. hp trans two stroke for tranny or gtx 10w- 40w. Also syenthetic or non synthentic with or with out moly??? i just want to ride>>> appreciate the help :cry:

I have used the Honda 10-40, or 20-50 with moly since I bought my 03 in July of 02. I have had 0 problems with my engine since the day I got it. I do also use the Honda gear oil for the CR transmissions on the trans side of mine. I change the oil and filter every 3 rides. I have checked the valves once, and they were spot on within the spec. Hope this will shed some light on it for you.

Bob

As stated in another post by Dovii...

Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Honda HP Trans Oil (SAE 80W/85W w/Anti Friction Additives )

Note: The container sez for 2 Strokes only all over it. Dealer said the 450 is the only 4-stroke that can use this oil?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes you can use that in your transmission only. HP Trans is what I run in my bike and is one of the oils recommended in your manual. Your dealer is correct when he says the CRF is the only 4-stroke that can use HP Trans.

Quote:

AMSOIL Synthetic 0W-40 No Friction Modifiers

Note: Any concerns on the synthetic

Yes you can run this in your engine. You can even run an oil containing friction modifiers in your engine side (such as Honda's HP4M w/ Moly). Modifiers such as moly reduce friction (reducing wear and increasing HP). They cannot be used in your transmission side, because they can cause your clutch to slip.

Synthetic oils are great! They are far better than petroleum based oils. Be sure to break your bike in

I have used the Honda 10-40, or 20-50 with moly since I bought my 03 in July of 02. I have had 0 problems with my engine since the day I got it. I do also use the Honda gear oil for the CR transmissions on the trans side of mine. I change the oil and filter every 3 rides. I have checked the valves once, and they were spot on within the spec. Hope this will shed some light on it for you.

Bob

Word.....I change mine every 3 rides using the same combo....HP4M (with Moly) 20-50 in the engine, and HP Trans Oil (red gear oil bottle) in the tranny side, i change the filter every other oil change :cry:

Fresh top end or any other new internal components i change the oil every ride for the first 3 rides on the new parts.

I wont lie my bike did blow up once and bent a valve however that was probably due to my "rev limiter testing"

on the landing of the 60 ft table on the moto track rather than poor oil choice and changing habits.....i am a mantanince nut and with my experience it is key to a long living and healthy 4 stroke

Im a proud new owner of a 2005 crf450r, killer fun...

But am confused on what types of oil are safe for my bike. Dealer says moly blends in engine are ok but not in tranny. book states not to use moly blends. friends reccomend mobile one red cap for engine. hp trans two stroke for tranny or gtx 10w- 40w. Also syenthetic or non synthentic with or with out moly??? i just want to ride>>> appreciate the help :banghead:

Be aware, Mobil 1 Red Cap WAS a great oil, but they don't make it anymore. The red cap available now is not the correct one. (Some areas may still have the correct one on the shelves). Mobil 1 Gold Cap 15-50 EP or MX4T are the closest thing to the old Red Cap, both contain low Moly content suitable for the motor and tranny. :banghead: