Sign in to follow this  

Why should I NOT buy a CRF250R?

I have a chance at a great deal on an '04 CRF250R - very low hours. What would keep me from being happy with this bike? What should I look out for? Any problems?

I'm familiar with thumpers (B50MX, TT500, TT600, DR350, DRZ110), but this would be my first red bike.

I'll really appreciate your input.

Dan.

GREAT deal=BUY it!! You can always turn around and sell it if its not what your looking for,right?

Whats a great deal? How was it broken in? Yeah, they're great bikes if broken in right.Check the oil level/cleaness.

A lot of people have had valve problems, myself included.

I'd say you should check the valves and (somehow) make sure they weren't just adjusted before you check them.

The valves go to zero clearance at which point they need to be replaced. You can sim/adjust them back to spec, but that lasts only a couple hours run-time max.

Seems like everyone is bashing the suzuki/kawi bikes. Guess honda has a little problem of their own. I would check the guy's garage and shed to see if he has any oil drums lying around. If he does it's a good reason not to buy the bike. If you decide to buy the bike, be sure to lop off 250 bucks off the price so u can buy the oil u'll need for the next season.

Here is the full story. My friend says he knows someone that needs to sell a CRF250R (he is the second owner), and since the bike is at my friend's house, I went to check it out. Man, what a nice bike. This one has a minimal amount of the standard plastic and engine cover scuffs - obviously a low-hour bike. I take it up and down the street - just putt-ing - and it feels sweet! I tell my friend, "I WANT THIS BIKE. Do whatever you have to do, just GET THIS BIKE!" He says to come over tomorrow and we'll test ride the bike on his track. In the meantime, I run home and post this thread.

The next day I go to my friend's track and... proceed to WATCH my friend RIDE THE S#!T out of this CRF! Race speeds! (He is a former state single-digit racer). For hours! And it's not even his bike! All the time he's shouting "I love this bike!", as he hammers by. He finally pulls in and asks if I would like to ride it.

Now I know this is a race bike, so it is built to be ridden hard. But I also know that a careful break-in is important, and we have no idea how many hours are on this bike. I TOLD my friend that I wanted the bike, now, here he is, essentially offering me "sloppy seconds"! If I was unsure as to how hard it had been ridden up to this point, well, now I HAVE seen it beat like kettle drum!

I tell him that if he likes it soo much, he should buy it. "Oh no", he tells me, "I'm gonna buy a new one! This one is for you!"

No thanks.

Dan.

get on the bike and hammer it. this is a honda. stop whining, anyone who lends out their new bike should be committed. stop wasting our time.

get on the bike and hammer it. this is a honda. stop whining, anyone who lends out their new bike should be committed. stop wasting our time.

Well there's a big load of intelligence... :cry: