Sign in to follow this  

Will a new exhaust pipe increase power and noise over Vortip?

My wife insists that my 96 xr400 with vortip exhaust is to quiet and I need to make it louder. Will a FMF,White Brothers, Big Gun, etc. help to increase noise and performance over the Vortip? :cry: :cry:

Yes It would definatly make it louder, But not overly much more power I dont think.

When there LOUD, somtimes you get confused between there actually being more power and the noise. It may sound better, but will there actually be more power? Mabey a little.

I heard a honda today with an FMF pipe it did sound great. But if there is not a performance difference then I would rather spend the $250 on something else that would make a performance difference like a Mikuni pumper(if it would). Thanks for your opinion it is valued! :cry:

Does your wife want local areas closed down so you can be at home on Sundays?

The Vortip tests around 92-93 db. FMF Q-series tests at 96 db.

Yes, there are pipes out there that will increase performance and noise.

Most sacrafice bottom end power and increase top end power.

Do you ride around with the throttle wide open?

Honestly. Where do you ride in the RPM range.

I'd put money into a pumper carb before a louder pipe.

If you want a really loud pipe, get one on eBay. You'll find a bunch being sold off as they are illegal in many riding areas. CA, MI, AMA events, National Forest.

No she doesn't want the parks closed down but would love to drive the neighbors nuts who bought 15 arces and built there house 100ft from ours. I did not realize that it was already in the 90+ decibal range. There are a few bikes here with loud pipes but just because they jump off the bridge.. :cry:. Will the pumper be worth the money and what performance differences will I see?

I usually ride in the bottom end/woods only/(2nd gear)

Pull the Vortip and practice wheelies.

Put it back in and go ride on public lands. :cry:

When you snap the throttle full open with a pumper carb, the front wheel comes up and you go forward.

When you snap the throttle full open with a stock carb, the bike hesitates or dies.

Total HP is about the same.

Pull the Vortip and practice wheelies.

Put it back in and go ride on public lands. :cry:

you'll drive everyone anywhere near your house crazy like that. we pulled the vortrip out of my bike and rode it around the yard. i've never heard a bike that loud before.

<font color="navy">Keep the bike quiet.

When you snap the throttle full open with a stock carb, the bike hesitates or dies.

<font color="navy">Or, do the Gordon mods and get your jetting cleaned up and have the same result as swapping to a pumper carb. I'm running the stock carb and never have hesitation or coughing problems (neither does my bike! Haha). I'm not knocking people who've put pumper carbs on their bikes, but I haven't personally seen the advantage over a properly adjusted stock carb...

I think my stock carb is good. I guess I have come to the realization that all the mods have been done for increased HP without messing with the motor. I think I will just have to focus on cosmetics since I have the stupid yellow gas tank, formally white. :cry: Thanks for all the tips. ThumperTalk is awesome. :cry: :cry:

Can you lug your bike down to a slow crawl and snap the throttle wide open without any hesitation? If you can I'd like to know your jetting and general set up.

The difference in how fast the bike reacts with a pumper is amazing.

<font color="navy">Actually, yes I can! I'm running the stock '98 carb, but with the airbox opened up (and UNI filter) and muffler diffuser removed. As for jetting, I'm running the two taper A16A jet needle, #60 slow jet, and #165 main jet. Throttle response is very crisp and I don't notice any hesitation or bogging. Well, when I get up above 7,000 feet (normally, I ride in the 2-3,000 elevation range) it does seem to run a little rich, but nothing really bothersome.

Anyway, I can let the bike idle along in first gear and whack the throttle with no problem. No cough and die, just lift the front end and run! Wheee!

I guess I never paid that much attention because 3 weeks ago I upgraded from a rough shape 95 xr200 to a 96 xr400. So everything seems fantastic about the 400. I was hoping to do some type of mods but the previous owner has done them. I.E. Vortip,uni filter and carb rejetting. I do seem to get lack of throttle response but not enough where I have found it irritating, the 200 did it alot. But the power is new to me so it's very exciting even with a little bog here and there. Maybe I will get a chance to try a pumper carb on someones bike and really see the difference.