Sign in to follow this  

What kind of gas does everyone use?

I've seen a few postings that mention octane. I've been using 87 octane in my '04 230. Am I hurting my motor? Should I use higher octane, or does it matter? I ride at 500-700 ft above sea level, I'm about to re-jet when my parts come in next week, and I ride trails (as hard as I can). As always, I welcome all the input! :cry:

i use pump gas, regular, no high test. tried high test and race gas. couldn't tell any difference. i ride an XR-400.

Kaos :cry:

Doesnt hurt your motor but what it does do is make your bike not run that SNAPPY.... i run premium 93 Octane ... i can tell the difference unloading off the berm and switching years.... i can actually feel it take off rather than lagging :cry:

I always run the super but on race day I'll go to Unical 76 and get the 100 race gas. You can get it right out of the pump at some 76 stations. If my bike sits for 2-3+ weeks I'll drain the tank.

You should run at least pump premium. I believe the owners manual states the octane requirement at 92 or higher. Even if the premium is $.20 a gallon more, isn't it worth it to run the better stuff ??

I run 110 octane and sometimes if i cant get any i get 110 oxygenated fuel. I have to have it. No matter what my bike wont even start with 92 octane. And if it does it runs like crap. But for a stock bike just run 92 octane and maybe that 104 octane boost. But make sure to mix 2 bottles of 104 octane boost in 15 gallons of 92 octane. If you mix it in your gas tank you might have problems. :cry:

Pump gas is all that a stock compression CRF 230 or 150 needs. Low or mid grade is fine. It does not need, nor will it benefit from any higher octane pump fuel (the caveat to that is,, no matter what the sticker says on the pump,, you may get poor quality fuel form one place or another, or even from time to time at the same station as they do not always buy from the same source every time)

There are some advantages to using a caned race gas over pump gas,, but the increase in octane is not one of them for the stock motor.

I agree with Coeshow. I think it's funny how some people will change the oil, clean the air filter, wash and detail there bike after almost every ride. Plus spend $$$ on performance products. After all that they end up putting the cheapest gas they can find in it.

I put cheap High octane gas in my bike. I use Costco 91 Octane gas in my bike, because on the way to Sacramento, I need to put gas in my truck. After Putting gas in my truck, I put the gas in the bike.

Runs fine, no pinging, knocking, whatsoever and have had no problems :cry:

You should run at least pump premium. I believe the owners manual states the octane requirement at 92 or higher. Even if the premium is $.20 a gallon more, isn't it worth it to run the better stuff ??

What is better? Care to define your idea of better?

In detail, why do you believe it is better, all other factors being the same?

Yes the manual calls for 92, and that should be the lowest you use,,(low, mid or super depending on where you live) even then depending on the fuel supplier, it may not be enough. If you have detonation or pre ignition problems, then change fuel supplies.

Using a pump fuel that has a higher level of octane then what is needed to control detonation is a waste,, and does nothing for the motor longevity or performance. If you have info to the contrary,, please state why?

I run BP Super 93 in every bike I have. So that isn't really overkill on octane, but if it sits a month or so it still has a kick to it. Kickstarting a XR 400 you need some good gas in it. :cry: Also running the same kind of gas all the time you don't run into jetting issues, I had a 87 xr200 and put 93 in it and it would almost die on a hill until I adjusted the carb, cheap gas by previous owner. :cry:

In detail, why do you believe it is better, all other factors being the same?

Yes the manual calls for 92, and that should be the lowest you use,,(low, mid or super depending on where you live) even then depending on the fuel supplier, it may not be enough. If you have detonation or pre ignition problems, then change fuel supplies.

Using a pump fuel that has a higher level of octane then what is needed to control detonation is a waste,, and does nothing for the motor longevity or performance. If you have info to the contrary,, please state why?

A waste ?? If you have a hi compression engine, you can not run lesser fuels (lower octane) Granted, 9:0/1 isn't very hi, but the manufacturer feels its necessary to run that grade of fuel. I think the engineers at Honda have determined without a doubt that this is the minimum octane you should run. You could run automatic transmission fluid in your crankcase if you desire as well. But the owners manual again calls out a specific grade and weight oil requirement. Why go against what is specified by Honda ??

I'm certain they know more about their product than anyone else.

Great info as always. Thanks everyone. I'm going to try 93 octane pump fuel and see if I notice a difference this weekend. I'll post the results next week. :cry: