Sign in to follow this  

2004 observations

Well, after about 300-400 miles on my CRF450, I finally decided to put on my Ironman sprockets (13:49) and a Regina O-ring chain (with a fastway spacer). I also went to a 5.3 shock spring vs. the 5.5. I have already gone from the .47 front to .45. While removing the shock, I thought I might as well grease the linkage. Guess what? No need! There is no way it would take any more grease. Good job in the greasing dept. Honda!

Oh, and I also ordered (months ago) an 18" complete rear wheel from Service Honda, from an '04 CRF250X. By looking at the part numbers on the hub, disc, axle, etc., I was pretty sure it would work. Guess what --> Works like stock, very nice!

I just wanted to share those few items with those interested. At 183 lbs., and desert only riding and racing the lighter springs are a real plus. I went with Race Tech's recommended spring weights for my (rider) weight, and I am very happy. I am going to drop a couple of shims from the bottom of the compression stack. The front could be a little more plush, but it is not a function of the fork springs (now).

Having owned an '02 KTM 400SX(punched to a 453), and a '02 WR426, I must say this is my favorite bike of all time. And DEFINITELY the BEST SUSPENSION!!