Sign in to follow this  

What product do you use to change tire?

Ive been just taking my tire and rim down to the shop and having it mounted for 20 bucks. Ive change tires on my own and it sucks! So is there something I could use so I can change it on my own without putting me in a pissy mood while doing it? Price doesnt matter as Ill get my money back over time doing it myself. What do the shops use to change the tire when you take it there? Thanks

At a minimum:

Milk crate, 3 tire irons, valve core tool, tire lube (this runs from dish soap and water in a squirt bottle to Store bought tire lube, to WD-40 others swear by and other products you will hear about) and an air pump. Do a google search on "motorcycle tire changing" and you will get a bunch of how to write ups... It is not hard, but does take some technique to do it well.

After the minimums,, there are some better ways to do it. Buying or building a changing station is a great up grade over the milk crate.

What do the dealerships use to change the tires? If I got something that makes changing tires easy I can charge my frinds for me changing thier tires. LOL

I can charge my frinds for me changing thier tires. LOL

Thats what I do. :cry:

I just bought the MRP tire changing stand a few weeks ago.It makes tire changing much easier IMO.

Its pretty pricey for someone that rarely changes tires,but for the guy that does a lot of tire changing,this thing is really nice.

If changing tires is mentally challenging, and physically demanding.. You might need to look for a new sport.

Folks it just is not that hard. I have no special equipment, cept tire irons.. and it is a 15 minute job start to finish.. Little longer is it is a special rim, and I need to take care not to scratch it.

There is some technique involved.. but other that that,,,,not hard.. Heck My 11 year old changes his own tires..

:cry: :cry:

Bronco, I am to cheap to get the milk crate. I have an old picnic table that has a hole in the center cut out for a shade umbrella, old umbrella stand, piece of rebar and always the wrong tool for any job (vise grips) :cry: :cry: :cry:

Three tire irons are the easy way :cry:

I like using a 35 gallon barrel to support everything. It works great, gets the tire of the ground and pretty much holds it in place. A socket jambed in the opisite side you start from keeps the beaad in the center of the rim (I use a 15mm since it doesn't get used for anything else)... Plenty of lube (soap and water, tire lube, wd WD40 if you plan on changing your tube on a regular basis). Coat the inside of the tire and the tube with baby powder (talcum powder). Partially inflate the tube to keep from pinching it.... Get the tire warm in the sun or next to the fire place..... Lots of other little tricks but the #1 is to get a good set of long spoons from MSR, Motion-Pro or someone else. Spend the money cause the cheap ones bend. As for what the dealership uses, it is a tire machine that cost several hundred dollars.... Once you get the system down you should be able to change one in 15-20 minutes.... The buddies bring thiers over, drink a few beers and I change them for five bucks a piece (they buy the beer). :cry:

Elbow Grease and patience-in-a-can. Both made obsolete by experience. I actually kinda like it now. :cry:

I just bought the MRP tire changing stand a few weeks ago.It makes tire changing much easier IMO.

Hey Thanks Tennessee! I've been looking for something like that ever since I watched the Dunlop guys at the SX races changing tires. I'm buying me one! :cry:

I use 3 Jackson's. :cry: :cry:

Time is money and my time is too valuable. I do one every now and then (1-2 a year) just to remember everything.

Don :cry:

A tire changing holder...once you use one, you wont go back.

5 gallon bucket, trash can, crates...no comparison...

did 2 Maxxis IT's(big carcass) with 2 rimlocks (slows ya down a bit) in about 20 minutes R&R'd on bike and the tires were not warm.

Usually a 45 - 1 hour job with a 5 gallon bucket.

PM me if you want one...

changer2.jpg

I got one of THESE from Harbor Freight awhile ago, along with the MOTORCYCLE ATTACHMENT.

The attachment lets you do up to 22" rims.

:cry: Works great. I've also used it on my trailer tires.

When I got it, the changer was on sale for $39.99(regular $69.99) and is now $49.99. The attachment was still as advertised at $42.99

Haven't tried it yet with full size vehicle tires, but I don't see why it wouldn't be just as easy.

I would reccomend this to anyone wanting to do their own tires. :cry:

5-gal bucket, Motion Pro tire spoons, windex=30 minutes. I didnt like changing them much at first either, but now its not a big deal, and besides, having a freash tire mean more roost hitting the guys chasing you.:cry: