Sign in to follow this  

oil strainer help

can someone help me here

i went to pull out the oil strainer(the one behing the skid plate) the other day and looks as if the guy i bought the bike of never touched it i decided to do a full service and change everything filters oils fluids. then it came time to remove the strainer

so my question is, is it a right hand thread so that means it will undo to the left or anti clockwise and second is it normal for the first removal to be super hard to undo

i didn't actually do the strainer because i was worried i was doing somthing wrong and thats wyh it would not undo.

any help would be great

Lefty loosey, righty tighty...it's normal threading (remember it's upside down, pull towards you from the right side of the bike). It could be stubborn if it's never been removed before. Just get the correct size deep socket or wrench (24mm I think?) and get some leverage behind it or persuade with a few taps on the wrench or ratchet with a rubber or dead blow mallet.

I believe it is either 18mm or 19mm (which ever is close to 3/4".) I think te rear axle nut is 24mm. And like stated before it will be real tight the first time since they paint the frame with the strainer installed.

The oil strainer takes a 24mm deep socket.

Just be careful when you're putting on and taking it off. You don't want to just start yanking. You need to keep the socket straight since the end of the strainer extends quite a ways into the socket. Anyway, it's not hard, just take your time.

I'd suggest using a breaker bar to get it loose, especially if the previous owner didn't touch it.

On a side note, I have a 2002 and it didn't look like the previous owner ever touched the strainer. I took it out and it was PERFECT. So, kind of a waste of time for me but at least I have the peace of mind now.