Sign in to follow this  

Power delivery on KLX400SR question

This might sound kinda strange but I'm trying to soften up the power delivery in say 1st and 2nd gear on my '03 KLX400SR. I think some of it is attributed to the lack of a cush drive. I ride alot in the woods and need a very smooth, unexciting power delivery at least in 1st gear for tight woods work. The only way I know to do it within reason is maybe jetting the bike on the fat side on the pilot. I run the stock exhaust and like the bike quiet. I dont know what else to do any ideas?

This might sound kinda strange but I'm trying to soften up the power delivery in say 1st and 2nd gear on my '03 KLX400SR. I think some of it is attributed to the lack of a cush drive. I ride alot in the woods and need a very smooth, unexciting power delivery at least in 1st gear for tight woods work. The only way I know to do it within reason is maybe jetting the bike on the fat side on the pilot. I run the stock exhaust and like the bike quiet. I dont know what else to do any ideas?

So you feel like first gear is too high? Maybe you could change gearing? Power delivery seems pretty damm smooth to me, especially compared to other bikes

Well ya have an SR, so the BSR36 CV carb.. NOt sure you can De-tune that much more then it is? It's possible it just needs some jetting.

Try and describe again what it is doing that you do not like.

I'm just not understanding what your needing. The power is very smooth on the DRZ S (same as your bike) Most folks are working on getting quicker, better throttle response,, not less :cry: But to each his own.

I can assure, the lack of a rear wheel cush drive has nothing to do with power delivery. As for not working in tight woods..... Well I live in the pacific North West,,, and ride a lot of woods, as do friends that ride DRZ's and a few with KLX's.. Can not say the power delivery is problem.. But again to each his own. You may just need to find a different bike with less power.. but I bet it just needs to be properly tuned. and you may need to learn throttle control on this particular bike.

I'll state the obvious here, go up a tooth or two on the rear sprocket and then use second instead of first. The only draw back would be a little less top end.

i agree that you are probably mistaking way to high of gearing for abrupt power.

the stock 15/44 gearin on a S is way to tall for offorad work.

go to 14/47 gearing or even 13/47 that most use for trail work.