Sign in to follow this  

Street legal 450X in N.Y. ??

I have a sweet 03 450 with all the trimmings. Yesterday I saw a street legal 250X. So I made a few calls and have to wait until monday to find out. When the 05 crf 450x comes out I am assuming it will be able to made street legal also. If the title allows it, then I will sell my 03 and put all my stuff onto the 05x. Any one have experience with making a 250X streetable in NY? And I don't wanna hear just change vin #'s. I am looking forward to motarding around town.

I made my '03 450 street legal. You will need a lenient inspection station and lots of luck with the DMV. I got really lucky and it was still a pain in the ass. What worked for me was on the back of the MV-82 (registration form) there is a line for changing the classification of the vehicle. It is used for changing vehicles from commercial to passenger rating. I wrote in changing from off-road use to on-road use. You will need to do this because the MSO says "NOT FOR ROAD USE" all over it. Take your insurance card and the inspection number in and you may get lucky. Otherwise go to Vermont and then transfer the registration over to NY.

It was worth it though. You can't imagine the look on the guy's face riding a R1 at the next light when you leave him behind. You will definitely get lots of looks.

Otherwise go to Vermont and then transfer the registration over to NY.

That is no longer an option, they shut that down. I tried it with my 250.

I heard the same thing, but then someone I met just did it. You can't do it by mail, but if you walk in it works some of the time. He said he got lucky. He heard of people getting turned away.