Sign in to follow this  

KLR 650 - let's build more power

Hey from a new member to the forum .

I'm looking at the need or want for some more power out of a 2004 KLR 650 . No job to big for me so to speak but am in need of some numbers for those that have been there already .

With a aftermarket hi-compression piston at what point will the starter motor not crank these buddies anylonger ?

By chance has anyone checked the cam timing events with a degree wheel on a stocker and what was the LCA's and centerlines ?

Has anyone used the only set of aftermarket cams available and how did you like them ?

Exhaust , I'm totaly lost here . Who's got one that works but not just killer loud ?

Here is what I'm up to . I'm a engine nut . Simply cannot leave something alone and after a near lifetime of sportbikes and roadracing I want a thumper to play with using high octane fuel to slip around town on and rual country roads and to get the wheelie ability up over stock .

Not much if any off roading for this bike .

Any information is appreciated .

EDIT:

Should I be looking at KLX650 cams ?

Thanks for the offer and I will keep it in mind but I've got some homework to do before I decide .

Is that pipe loud ? Are there any links where I can see a pic of this type system ?

you need to drop in on klr650.net. bunch of flaming jerks, but they are the net's #1 technical folk on the keller.

being an engine builder you know this, but get a pumper carb, a jet kit, big gun exhaust claims the most power increase of all the systems, (their quiet core isnt too loud)and a K&N. their is a german company that claims to make a JE piston supplied big-bore kit, but they will not tlak to me, dealer only. I furgit they name, but it will pop up with a simple search. Be forewarned! Everbody is going to tell you the KLr doesnt lend itself to more power.

Mine is supposed to be "unusually strong." im running the big gun, jets, K&N, Iridium, L air box mod,93 octane, 16 tooth front sprocket. It put down 46.x hp on a bike dyno, but nobody on the net wants to believe that. I have been podering/studying the same subject for about 8 months now, so ask any questions you want.

Tres

No man , I'll stay on this site .

I took a brief look at the other site and it reminds me of a follow the leader type deal ie;a corvette type forum . That thread about the KLR having just the right power and people should leave them alone did it for me . I'm not a sheep to be hereded and i don't need be told I should have chosen another bike . I like the basic KLR for what it does have over some other entries on the market , I'll just enhance it and tweak it to my needs . I knew this before I bought it so no hindsight is in the mix :cry:

If I want to mod my bike like others only wish they could , I'll do it . To each his own in that regard and if 36hp gives em some comfort zone well thats warm milk drinkers for ya, I drink whiskey ;)but not while riding my turbo Hayabusa :cry:

Hmmmm , might just turbocharge this thing :cry:

Seriously , I'll take a look into some possible CNC work and rewelding the ports vs the KLX head idea you had . Maybe use a downdraft carb or two ;)and check into resleeving and getting JE to make a piston up to my spec .

HP comes from displacement and RPM . If I can get it to breath , all else will fall in place

Later

I think that most of the folks that have gone for the big hop-ups on a klr have been disappointed. Somewhere in my collection of Dual Sport News back issues is an article about a guy who punched his out to 727 or something like that. If I remember right he was bummed with the results. Check out the big KLR group on Yahoo and ask there, somebody will know. Be forewarned, you will hear to spend your money on suspension. Personally, if you're after a big dual sport that you can hop up, I would look at a KLX. Having both owned a KLR and ridden my dad's KLX, the KLX has much more fun potential than a KLR. Shorter swingarm, higher compression, MX style frame all point to a more responsive package to start than a KLR, plus about 40 less pounds. If you can kick a bike you can start a KLX easily. There was what looked like a pretty killer KLX 650R (racing model, the one you want) that was for sale in SoCal at a good price before the board switched over.