Sign in to follow this  

Would better boots prevent sprained ankle?

I bought my el cheapo Thor boots when I got back into riding. I felt bad about spending $$ on gear when I was already buying a bike before I promised I would, but she still insisted on getting gear (cheap compared to me not working, smart woman eh? :cry:)

Anyway, no problems in 3 years until yesterday.

Coming down a fairly steep but short hill I do regularly, all the sudden the front tire just washes out! I mean, no warning, just slides away and I go superman. Wasn't going very fast and the bike went down on my leg and sprained my ankle.

Now I could be thankful I didn't break anything, but I keep thinking that I shouldn't have sprained my ankle... :cry:

On the otherhand, if the foot wouldn't have twisted, maybe my knee would have been the next weak link... :cry:

What do you think?

I bought my el cheapo Thor boots when I got back into riding. I felt bad about spending $$ on gear when I was already buying a bike before I promised I would, but she still insisted on getting gear (cheap compared to me not working, smart woman eh? :cry:)

Anyway, no problems in 3 years until yesterday.

Coming down a fairly steep but short hill I do regularly, all the sudden the front tire just washes out! I mean, no warning, just slides away and I go superman. Wasn't going very fast and the bike went down on my leg and sprained my ankle.

Now I could be thankful I didn't break anything, but I keep thinking that I shouldn't have sprained my ankle... :cry:

On the otherhand, if the foot wouldn't have twisted, maybe my knee would have been the next weak link... :lol:

What do you think?

Yes, better boots would provide better protection. As far as the knee goes... better boots may have allowed slight twisting of the ankle, but not enough to sprain it, but enough to spread out the torsion forces so the knee didn't take the entire brunt of it... and the knee seems to be able to relay some of the forces to the femur better than the ankle transfers to the tib/fib, and the femur has better internal/external rotation than the tib/fib (stretch your leg out and twist your leg so the toes point in and then out... most of the twisting comes from the hip) So I don't think a knee injury would be the direct result of good boots...

In other words, it depends. :cry::lol:

Anyways, hope you heal quickly! Those ankle injuries can be a bi-atch, I still limp after a good day riding and its been over a year from mine... :lol::cry:

:cry:

If I had Tech 8's instead of 4's when my front wheel washed out in June I would have been riding in July instead of sitting at home being bored. Definitely yes :cry: Boots, helmets, and protectors arent the places to save money. Get good gear instead of useless decals and needless performance upgrades (not saying you did, just my general opinion) Cheers and heal up well :cry:

I have Fox Performas, Like Bubba, they saved my ankles many times already. Once coliding in the air with a friend rider.

His foot peg, hit my boot at the ankle. Felt pressure, but no injury occured. I also flat landed a jump and dug the front toe into the hard dirt. Bent my ankle, but still no injury. Thanks Fox!!! I had cheep MSR boots, and I fractured my ankle. Don't go cheep on protective gear!!

I don't know about completely preventing it, but having your injury not be as bad, definately :cry:

yes, get a pair of tech 8's. they have mega protection.

aggred. Ive had cases where i overcleard jumps and my ankles hurt like hell but if i werent wearing tech 8s i would of had broken ankles.

Yes better boots do a better job of protecting you.

Here is a suggestion when looking for boots, especially if you look at Thor boots again. Look at the boots the riders in the catalog wear for the photo shoot of Thor products. In the vast majority where the boot are identifiable, they are Alpinestars. If riders for the photo shoot for Thor don't wear their product why would you? I would think the riders would have total access to all the Thor products and to choose not to wear them is a clear signal.

I was talking to a fella a week or so ago that was wearing them Sidis w/ the molded on soles - you know the ones. Anyway, he said they offer great protection, etc. Personally, I ride Alpinestar T8s and love 'em. I cased a triple two times in a row one day last year (thus jacking my ankle) and while each time I initialy hurt, in only a few moments I was riding again. :cry:

I'm doing the Alpinestars resoling this winter. :cry:

Spend the $300.00 on top of the line boots and you won't regret it. You get what you pay for.

I don't know about completely preventing it, but having your injury not be as bad, definately :cry:

That's my take too. :cry:

I've got a pair of Alpinestar Vectors and they have worked great for my riding. One time in particular sticks out where my foot was caught under my bike during a crash and I felt more and more pressure. All of the sudden, my foot was loose and had just a sprain. :cry: I believe my boot soaked up most of the energy and saved a fracture.

I have learned this lesson over and over again - and I am still learning it. (I guess I haven't 'really' learned it). Whenever I buy "cheap" I come back later and buy "quality". Going cheap costs you more in the long run.

Our family started out with $20 over-the-ankle boots from Payless Shoes. When my oldest son broke his tib/fib just above the ankle I learned that we needed better boots. So we invested in the 'cheap' $100+ Fox Trackers, Alpinestar 4, and Thor T-30. Definitely an improvement, and they have been worth every penny - but now I am wishing we would have gone for the $200+ boots. Two weeks ago my second oldest son broke his ankle with a minor fall 50' from the car. He didn't hit hard, but his ankle twisted and fractured. His brand new T-30s didn't provide enough ankle support.

Next time...

The guys that are recommending Tech 6's, 8's, or Fox Forma Pro's are SMOKING CRACK.

I've own all of them. My last sprained was on a Forma Pro. They DO NOT offer ankle protection the way Gaerne SG10's and Sidi Force do.

Just go to your local dealer or motorcycle accessories stores and check those boots out. You will know what I am talking about.

Currently, I'm on a Sidi Force. The other boots are "fine" but if your main goal is ankle protection, then you have to look at the SG10 and Sidi Force.

I don't know much about the Oxtar.

yes, get a pair of tech 8's. they have mega protection.

I don't know much about the Oxtar.

I have the Oxtar TCX Pro and they have WAY more ankle protection than the Tech 8's. They have an "exoskeleton" that locks out hyperextension and stabilizes laterally.

My only complaint with the Oxtar has been the buckle design. If you don't know the "trick", they tend to get hung up when you release them. Now that I've worn them for 3-4 rides I've learned the trick and gotten over that issue.

I would only consider the Oxtar TCX Pro (bootie) or Comp (no bootie), the Gaerne SG10 or Sidi Force boots if I was looking for the best ankle protection.

I tore ligaments in my ankle wearing a pair of brand new Tech 8's. :cry:

I wondered that too.

But I bet if you'd actually been wearing your elbow/arm guards your forearm wouldn't be all tore up right now either!!! :cry: :cry:

I vote for the Oxtar TCX Pro's. I have bad ankles from playing baseball. I have no problems when casing jumps or even stubbing my toes in corners. I would buy them again when mine are trashed. Oxtar is coming out with a kids line designed just like the adult sizes in November. :cry: If anyone is interested in protecting their kids better. :cry: I have a package coming in with the info about them this week. I will update this post with pics and hopefully prices when I get it.

tech 10s are so friggin ugly, they make my eyes want to vomit

What.. These?

081204boot2sm.jpg

:cry::cry:

-

I like my tech6's.. Serve me fine and couldn't really ask for much more protection. :cry: