Sign in to follow this  

bar riser

I found this link from the unabikers website.

http://www.mts.net/~andyj/barrisers/

The bar riser look cool, but I really can't see how it will fit a DRZS. The risers move the bars up 1.5" and forward 1.375". This will interfere with the instrument cluster. The S kit does come with a spacer to move the instrument cluster forward but I really don't believe it will fit. There just isn't enough room between the front fairing and the handlebars. There's also a disclaimer on the website that said's this may not fit all bikes even with the spacer. I'm just wondering has anyone tried these for the S model, and how they like the fit.

Also, I've read the a lot of people use BIGDR risers. Are those the same as the ones I'm looking at. If not, can someone give me a link to them. I wasn't able to find anything about them. Thanks.

I have the DR risers on my 400S. I also had to bend the bracket for the speedo but they are GREAT! Best part I've put on my bike yet. If your tall ad the Jimmy Button bars and you'll be in heven.

Also, I've read the a lot of people use BIGDR risers. Are those the same as the ones I'm looking at. If not, can someone give me a link to them. I wasn't able to find anything about them. Thanks.

They look like th BigDR risers to me. Same ones I have.

You just make 'em fit. The biggest problem is actually the plastic headlight surround. Just got beat things around a bit :cry:. My confidence going down ultra-steep hills rose 300% after putting on risers.

I can't say enough good things about the BigDR risers...

I wasn't expecting much and held off until I got a blazing deal on them ($40 new from a TT member that never installed them)...I was shocked at how it added to the rideability of my bike especially standing...Prior to the risers I had to hunch over...With the BigDR risers I can stand straight up with my hands on the grips...It does take some manipulating of the bracket but it definitely works...

rightside.jpg

You just make 'em fit. The biggest problem is actually the plastic headlight surround. Just got beat things around a bit :cry:. My confidence going down ultra-steep hills rose 300% after putting on risers.

Ya, I kind of figured that theres not much room for the front fairing to fit after you move the instrument cluster forward. What exactly do you mean by "beat things around a bit"? Does the front fairing touch the instrument cluster? I'm just worried that it might cause some vibration noises if they do touch.

Ya, I kind of figured that theres not much room for the front fairing to fit after you move the instrument cluster forward. What exactly do you mean by "beat things around a bit"? Does the front fairing touch the instrument cluster? I'm just worried that it might cause some vibration noises if they do touch.

I have no problems at all - and I love mine - and I have an S model

Mvc-834f.jpg

The BIGDR risers come with spacers for the instument pod. This forces my headlight shroud way forward on the right side and has actually caused a crack in the plastic.

Is the clearence behind the shround greater with the 03+ years ?

p.s. I glued a little piece of metal behind my instrument pod so that the risers didn't dig into it. It was a good call on my part.

The BIGDR risers come with spacers for the instument pod. This forces my headlight shroud way forward on the right side and has actually caused a crack in the plastic.

Is the clearence behind the shround greater with the 03+ years ?

p.s. I glued a little piece of metal behind my instrument pod so that the risers didn't dig into it. It was a good call on my part.

Sounds like the fit is very questionable :cry: And I definitly don't want the plactic cracking because of this.

Now I'm having second thoughts about getting them.

Buy the bar risers they are worth every penny. Mine fit just fine with a small tweak of the bracket as well and no problems with the light plate. I say get them and you will not be disapointed. :cry:

With a bit of frigging, I mounted my speedo down a bit farther by drilling a couple of holes in the bracket.

By drilling new mounting holes per the instructions, I had no problem with clearance whatsoever. :cry:

mounting in front...hmmm.... sounds like an Idea..

I have an O3 S model....

Its a tight fit, my insrament cluster hits the Risers and the front headlight cover....

Also... i had to take my cross bar pad off.... my key was in the way after words....

I think i can move the key inside though... i've just been lazy..

Also.. something else about the Risers.... Top product...

Makes a world of difference...

Also, It seems i get less headshake at high speeds now..

anyone else notice this?

Yes..Also for me as well...Less headshake...Must be something to do with the arm reach and change in leverage..

Almost everyone here telling him the bar risers are a good product and make a big difference. One guy tells him they don't fit right and he agrees with him...I'd say he already made up his mind :cry: ...

mounting in front...hmmm.... sounds like an Idea..

I have an O3 S model....

Its a tight fit, my insrament cluster hits the Risers and the front headlight cover....

Also... i had to take my cross bar pad off.... my key was in the way after words....

I think i can move the key inside though... i've just been lazy..

Also.. something else about the Risers.... Top product...

Makes a world of difference...

Also, It seems i get less headshake at high speeds now..

anyone else notice this?

Will these go on a '01 400E ok? I believe my "E" has less stuff to get in the way. Where can I find the BigDR risers?

Although I never noticed it, it does make sense that the bar risers could reduce head shake to some degree, based on the addition leverage from moving the bars forward.

Also, some of you are concerned about how much modification is needed to fit these bar risers. Do a search..there is plenty of good info there. I think the bottom line is that it varies from bike to bike. On my bike I ended up re-drilling the holes in the speedo and re-routing my throttle cables to make everything work. No big deal. And the bar risers did make a huge difference while riding and standing up. If you expect every little question you have to be answered in the instructions, you may have a problem. If you have some mechanical apptitude (ie. change your own oil) you shouldn't have many problems. Money well spent :cry:

Well, I decided to buy them. Should be getting them this week. Hope I don't have too much problems making everything fit.