Sign in to follow this  

Engine tear down/ Amazing!

Well I finally did it, Tore the old bike down...And what did I find? Hardly any wear! Not bad for 20k, The cylinder had no scoring, the piston shrunk thought and the exhaust skirt side had minimal scoring. The guides for the timing chain did not even have grooves in them. But the chain was surely strectched out. The valves for the intake seemed to be on the upper end of the face with the wear pattern, and the exhaust were worn in the center but slightly pitted from carbon. Still within spec of clearances, so I re-machined the head and valves. The cylinder cleaned up good/still deciding on whether to go with a big-bore kit? Cams OK, A little galling on the exhaust journal nearest the ACR. ACR is sloppy with loose rivets/ deciding if I should do the manual type release? The balancer shaft gear seeems to have a little play, not as bad as the idler gear thought, that gets replaced...just finished porting/matching and polishing the intake and exhaust track which had considerable carbon (1mm in the exhaust port) waiting on more $ to make a decision on whats next, :cry: before I go back together...

Sounds like the KLX is holding up a lot better than the new crop of 250 four strokes.

Wrench on

Brewster