Sign in to follow this  

Fellow TT'rs, need opinions on a good dirt bike.

Hey guys and gals, I have a buddy that is currently riding a KX-250. But it seems this year he has really gotten fed up with the 2 smoke. He is a short rider and cannot touch on the bike when in the tight, slow stuff of the cascades which is where we live during the summer. He is giving some serious thought to a used XR 250 but I am worried that this will be too much of a power loss compared to what he is used to. Not saying that the bike would be great in the Cascades, but mostly thinking it will be the pits at places like Tahuya and Capital forest in the winter and spring where trails are very fast. I would say we are faster then average riders.... Spend most of the time in 3rd 4th and 5th gears when at places like Tahuya and Capital forest.

I think that a better bike would be a 98 or 99 WR 400 with the suspension shortened 2 inches. Another bike he is thinking about is a DR 350. I am looking at it like this, The 98 and 99 WR's are going for 3000 and the XR 250's are going for 2500 to 2700 (if you can find one). He claims that if the 250 weren't enough power that he could add a 280 kit but then you adding to the price of the bike. I figure any of the bike will need to be re-valved and the cost of shortening is cheap when done with the valving.

To me it is a no-brainer, get the WR, but what is the opinion of people that ride the bikes listed and possibly both at one time or another. BTW, buddy is 29 years and 5' 6", 155 pounds. He is looking to spend no more than about 3000. Thanks.

I love my DR350se, its a very bullet-proof, low-maintenance, user-friendly bike. It is a bit on the tall, heavy, and slower side for a thumper this size, but a few mods like cutting the airbox and re-jetting will bring it to life. And especially for shorter riders, the Kouba link and a straight rate spring will lower the ride height and improve suspension performance. Another advantage of the DR is that they are common, and inexpensive (my '95 was practically like new when I bought it, and I have less than 3k invested with everything I've done to it), so you can spend more on the performance enhancing side of things than with other more expensive bikes. '98 and newer DR's had the best suspension, but I'm completely happy with my '95.

Well since he already has a green bike, how about a kx250f its lighter than a drz350, more power than a xr250 has six speeds for railing single track. Most importantly it can be lowered cheaply and with out having to do it internally. How you ask? Simple, change the link length on the shock and move the forks up into the t clamps. This works much better and cheaper than having spacers put into the shock and shorter springs in the fork,and a revalve to compensate for this and not only do you have less suspension travel. When you do it this way it makes for a very ill handling bike at high speed i.e, head shake. I speak from experience i to am lacking height and had Devol lower my bike ( not dumping on Devol they did a good job and they warned that it would effect the handling) i paid twice to have it lowered and then to have it raised back up. Since you guys are clip'n along 4th ,5th gear at capital forest :cry: your going to want alll the suspension you can get :cry:

Good suggestion but we have both bought our last MX bike. Niether of us have ever been on a MX course, strictly ride trails. The KXF is not set up for woods riding. Sure, a MX bike can be made into a Trails bike but you pay dearly for it. I have 11,000, (incudes the cost of the bike new), into my YZF and basically have a WR with a close-ratio transmission. Not smart. Plus, he is looking to spend no more then 3000. The KXF and WR 250's are too much money where a 98 or 99 WR 400 or XR 250 can be had for 3000 or less. A DR 350 is even a better deal at 1000 to 1500.

As for the suspension, I can see where there might be some handling problems. Hopefully, whatever bike he gets will react to the lowering better then yours. (Cross my fingers) If not then like you he will have to decide where to go from there. Not sure I would agree with raising the forks in the triple clamps like you have sugested. Without stops inside the forks you would bottom the tire right into the fender and endo badly. Not sure I would want to be in that position. :cry: Thanks, for the suggestions.....keep them coming. :cry:

here are my sugestions:

1. wr400

2. wr250

3. ktm 200exc

4. kdx 200/220

i know the last 2 are 2-smokes but they are purpose built woods bikes and in the tight stuff will waste a bigger 4 stroke! :cry:

KDX 200 or 220.I have a 220 and it's a great Wa.bike.Lots of fun and way less $$ than the others!! (So what if you have to mix gas,how hard is that?)

tell you what, if your friend wants I'll swap him bikes for a ride, and he can see exactly what a DR350 is like. I'll probably be at Walker Valley on Satuday morning, assuming its not pouring cats and dogs.

Hmm, I'll see if he will take you up on that offer. Problem is we went riding on Sat and his wife is pretty anal about going 2 weekends in a row.eek7.gif

He needs to put his woman in line.BoomSmilie_anim.gifbiggrinbounce2.gif

Curious, How do you like your DR?

Since some of you have brought it up and the price is definatly right, what is the consensus on a KDX 200. How much low end do they have? Do they have good range? Guess he would be a fool to not at least consider a KDX since the mags have always loved them. Do they do well in steep nasty places of the Cascades? Thanks. :cry:

Since some of you have brought it up and the price is definatly right, what is the consensus on a KDX 200. How much low end do they have? Do they have good range? Guess he would be a fool to not at least consider a KDX since the mags have always loved them. Do they do well in steep nasty places of the Cascades? Thanks. :cry:

If its low end you want, dont get the KDX200, get the KDX220, I bought a new 01 KDX220 and it was actually designed just for low end grunting around. Was a perfect trail bike, nice and light, parts plentiful. I just wanted spoke snapping torque, so I run WR's now. Oh, MSRP on the 220 is 4399, good value. You should be able to get them for even less.

I had the opportunity to ride a basically new 2003 KDX220 over in hawaii. The bike is a very capable for almost any conditions. My only comment is that the forks were very harsh. Other than that it was a good bike.

Not too worried about suspension, he only weighs aroung 155. Anything he get will need some suspension work. :cry: