Sign in to follow this  

First ride yesterday

Hey all

So yesterday was nice weather here so a friends friend who is a seasoned trail rider offers to take us out for our first trail ride with our new bikes, me with DRZ, friend with XR400, friends friend with Gas Gas EC300.

To say i'm aching all over today would be an understatement :cry:

Started off at around 11.30am and got home at 6pm :cry:

I found that although i'd drilled out 3 x 6mm holes in the end of the stock exhaust, the engine braking was still rather harsh and it sounded like an old C90 scooter.

The bars were way too low as a lot of riding was over large rocky climbs/trails which required standing up.

I did come off around 3 times :cry:

Once was due to me not being able to reach the floor and as a result just toppled over withthe bike on me.

Once was due to a narrow uphill bank twisty climb where I had to come off the throttle about two thirds of the way up and couldnt get going again as it was too slippery so tried to get off the bike again couldnt reach the floor due to the camber i was on so the bike fell onme again which flooded the carb.

Got the bike back up and tried to start it (elec start) and after three attempts the battery was dead so 3 of us had to pull the bike up the bank and try bumping it :cry:

I think i'll carry a spare battery next time :cry:

And the last off was due to a nice deep rut which high sided me.

Did I enjoy myself?

6 and a half hours of riding and £5 worth of fuel :lol:

YES and can't wait until the next ride, although I did feel that maybe the ride was to rough on the bike? or am i just being paranoid and the bikes really are up to the job :lol:

Plans for the bike are :

Higher bars

Handguards with integral turn signals.

Tail light assembly with integral turn signals.

Exhaust- well I dont know what to do with the exhaust, either drill larger holes which i can plug later if i want or remove the small pea shooter internal pipe all together, what do you guys think?

To be honest I'd like a bit more of a deeper note.

Anyway sorry if i bored you with such a long post but just wanted to let you know how pleased I am with my first outing on the yellow horse :lol:

Three times trying to start it and the battery died? That's not a good sign. My battery is good for many more than that. I try quickly to start it and if it doesn't catch on the first try I give it a minute, then open the throttle and hold it open, then crank. Seems to fire up quickly that way.

Yes, when the bike spills over, to re-start it, simply hold the throttle FULL open all the way and crank the electric start button..the bike will churn for a while but it will clear the carb and start.

Unless you do this technique the only other way is to let the bike sit for a good while 5-10 minutes, then it will start. I use the full throttle technique everytime.

Excellent report, but you might want to consider some CFC case guards to protect the delicate side cases from damage. Keep at it, it only gets better. Oh, and I suggest Advil for the post ride aches! :cry:

Erm dont really know altogether :cry:

Merthyr, Blackwood, Pontypool, Abertysswg, Crumlin, Senghenydd, Ystrad Mynach and a few other places i dont know :cry:

Cardiff maybe we could meet up and a big bunch of us go for a rideout one weekend, theres about 5 of us altogether,

1 DRZ, 1 XR400, 1 WRF450, 1 Gas Gas EC300 and 1 KTM 300 so a bit of a mix and i guarantee a few laughs along the way in the form of a few offs with us as we're beginners :cry:

We come from the trials scene so no fast paced adrenaline riding before.

The CFC case guards are hard to find here in uk but i am looking for an alternative, I also need to start putting the technosel sticky vinyl in a few places before i start putting scratches on the bike :cry:

The bikes are pretty durable although I would recomend a good skid plate,some case gaurds,radiator braces,hand gaurds,larger fuel tank,lower gearing,ect.You don't say anything about tires??. #1 mod for the DRZS, LOOSE THE STOCK TIRES!!!. Your gonna spend some dollars but all well worth it for tough offroad stuff. With a few mods the S makes a good all around bike. Battery sounds like it was faulty,and bigbob is correct about starting a flooded bike. :cry:

Thanks for the invite valleys, i appreciate that. I am not exactly a pro, i am the kind of guy that likes to have a go at something but also careful not to get myself beat up on a bad off,lol

When are you going out next? :cry:

You probably don't need it but I always wondered about carrying one of those small (2"X 2"X 12"?)car battery recharger "sticks" that you plug into a cigarette lighter. If it can recharge a car battery in 10 minutes you'd think it would do a hell of a job with a smaller bike battery. :cry: