Sign in to follow this  

XR200 vibration

I recently bought an 83 XR200 for my grandkids. The thing runs dandy and starts first or second kick every time. The only problem seems to be excessive vibration. I starts just above idle and continues to get worse thru the rpm range. You can feel it thru the bars and seat and it really gets you tingling after a short time.

Is this normal, and if not, where should I begin to look?

Thanks, tom

I recently bought an 83 XR200 for my grandkids. The thing runs dandy and starts first or second kick every time. The only problem seems to be excessive vibration. I starts just above idle and continues to get worse thru the rpm range. You can feel it thru the bars and seat and it really gets you tingling after a short time.

Is this normal, and if not, where should I begin to look?

Thanks, tom

Tom, No it is not normal.

The '83 was a good bike but if the engine mounts were not kept tight and the bike was ridden hard the frame would break. If it was not caught in time it would break the lower part of the engine case at the mounting point near the front sprocket.

Make sure all of the engine mounting bolts are tight, while paying extra attention to the frame area just above the left foot peg near the counter shaft sprocket.

You may have to pressure wash the crud off to get a good look...Karl

Go through it and tight up everything, check for cracks, but the main source for vibration is the steering stem bolt. Unloosen the top triple clamp, then tighten the steering stem nut, then retighten the triple clamp. Most of the time when it feels like the bike is falling apart, that's it. Also, check your rear sprocket bolts and chain.

Thanks guys, did as you suggested and it took about 89-90% of the vibration away. Feels like a normal bike. I never would have thought of the steering stem causing a vibration problem. Thanks again, tom.

I have seen the flywheels come apart and cause vibration also.

just another thing to think about.

:cry:

Thanks guys, did as you suggested and it took about 89-90% of the vibration away. Feels like a normal bike. I never would have thought of the steering stem causing a vibration problem. Thanks again, tom.

I didn't either and even today, when I ride and it starts vibrating, I'm inclined to tighten every thing else up, but it always ends up to be that. :cry: