Sign in to follow this  

Race Report

Well, I rode a hare scramble today. I had the only DRZ there.Probably about 35+ bikes (maybe three classes) on the our gate drop. Got a great start, went into the woods 7th. The only thing ahead of me were the expensive bikes. I ran 1st in the 40+ class till lap 8. I was 31 seconds ahead of the guy behind me. 35 miles into the race and on lap 8, went through the check, nailed it, the bike went sideways. FLAT TIRE :cry: :cry: :cry:I could not believe it. I have never gotten a flat during a race before, let alone leading. Do any of you guys run those foam rings in your tires? how do they work? I am gonna put a new tire on too. Also, it looks like my shifter shaft or my countershaft may be leaking some oil. :cry: If it were not for bad luck I would not have any luck at all.

Don't even start your bike until you find out about the leak :cry:. It sounds like the counter shaft nut has worked looke. You will need to replace at least the seal, buy an extra. Then do the red locktite on the splines and I believe torque it down to 50-55lb, it's less than in the manual.

You may want to do a search to check the torque figure.

The foam I believe only works on certain tires and has some other disadvantages. The tire balls seem to be a better way to go.

Stock Tubes, 10-12 lbs air. I just checked my cs nut. It is loose. just a little. Why would that cause the seal to leak :cry: the extra vibration :cry: My tab is still locked on the nut, but you can wiggle the nut.

Yes loose nuts will cause a leak :cry:

The space can move in and out if the nut is loose, as well as when the space moves out, it loses contact with the o ring and oil can leak past the splines.

The key to tight nuts :cry: is some locktite on the splines,and a drop or two on the threads. This keeps the nut tight, and keeps the sprocket from rocking on the splines, which cause the nut to loosen.

there is a oring behind the counter shaft spacer.its not doing its job with out being slightly compressed.

as far as the flats go,run the thickest tubes you cand find and 18-20lbs of air.people think im crazy,but i dont get flats.

If the spacer is not rusted or pitted.. Remove the nut, washer and sprocket, de-grease the splines and threads, reinstall with some red locktite on the splines (about four drops spaced here and there ) and a drop on the threads.

If the spacer is damaged in any way, replace it, the seal and the oring.

I have seen the price for the balls :cry: and also the foam tube. Looks like I will be ordering a heavy tube. The heaviest I have seen so far is 4mil. anybody know of a heavier one?

Now I know what tire balls are and they do look like a pain to install or remove. But are they worth 260.00 compared to good tubes? Sorrry about my last post I am almost computer illliterate, not quite but close enough. :cry: :cry:

Well, I bought a heavy dudy MOOSE tube. It feels like it is at least twice as heavyas the stock one. I had a soda can full of dirt and rocks inside my tire :cry: I also found a 1" piece of rusty wire :cry: Anyway, it is back together, with 15psi on the air.

The moose tube is ok but the best Are Bridgestone ULTRA heavy duty tubes. They are about twice as thick as the moose tube you just put in. They are about 1/4 thick. I have been running them sine 2001. I ride lots of rocks and roots and run 10 to 12 lbs on a regular basis. Never had a flat. They make getting the tire on a little bit more of a pain but not as much of a pain as doing it out in the woods. The one on my front tire is 3 yrs old and has to have at least 2000 miles of the best New england can throw at it while on a 290lb thumper inflated to 10 to 12psi. Still no leak. I had one on the rear for awhile and thought i should replace it just because it was in use for a bit. I cut it open just to see what it was like. Believe it or not I had to work at with a fresh blade on my utility knife to get through the bugger. What i thought was a tube that had seen better days had some surface scrathes and tons of life left in it!! I seem to remember someone claiming to have run one for 5 years in his back tire. I thought he was full it, now it wouldn't surprise me.

Burned 18lbs!!! Damn you are crazy!! I wouldn't make it a mile down the trail!!

Burned 18lbs!!! Damn you are crazy!! I wouldn't make it a mile down the trail!!

yup,and my rims arent dented up. :cry: