Sign in to follow this  

How much does regular maintanance cost?

I'm thinking about taking my bike to the local yamaha dealer to get it checked out. I think its broke in now so I want the valves to be checked and the oil changed. So do you know how much these things being done will cost?

I'd be willing to bet your valves are fine...your bike's not really a race-bike so I'm 99.9% sure the valves are in spec. As far as the oil's concerned, grab a wrench and a bucket, I've been doing it on my own since I was like 9. Unscrew the dip-stick, unscrew the bolt under the motor, let it drain out. Put the bolt in, fill-er up n' ride! (theres a tiny bit more to it, but nothing special) Anyways, to answer your question, if it's unspecific work and you don't know what's wrong...it's usually $60-%65 an hour plus parts. I think they have set prices as far as an oil change is concerned. :cry:

Not to be a smart-aleck but if you are going to take it to the dealer every time for an oil change its going to cost alot. Talk with your dad and learn how to maintain the old beast yourself! I am also fairly new to this sport. Oil changes are easy, check your manual. I dont know how much maintanance the 225 needs but its probably less than my CRF... Take it to the dealer, get it checked out, and start learning how to do the mechanical work. Also, make sure you have a nice, warm, stable place to work on your bike with good lighting and the correct tools :cry:

Norry :cry:

Thanx I was just wondering. It seems to be making a bit of clicking sound while its running, I know how to do the oil change. Oh and theres a screw that's all striped up on the head and I cant get to the air filter, is there anything I can use to get the screw out?

You cant change your air filter? Thats no good. Dust and sand in the engine: toasted valves. If there is a screw or bolt that is jammed I would suspect rust... a little bit of muscle power should get it out :cry: (Then replace it)

You cant change your air filter? Thats no good. Dust and sand in the engine: toasted valves. If there is a screw or bolt that is jammed I would suspect rust... a little bit of muscle power should get it out :cry: (Then replace it)

Its not rusted at all, its a philips screw and the threads on the top of the head is stripped so I cant unscrew it. :cry:

Its not rusted at all, its a philips screw and the threads on the top of the head is stripped so I cant unscrew it. :cry:

Use a dremel, cut a notch in the screw just enough to fit a flathead in it, and remove it that way. Or try using an impact driver.

Replace it with a hex screw of the same threading. :cry:

You should be able to do this kind of work yourself (oil change and valve check). Get a manual and work on it afterschool. It's not difficult. You gotta learn sometime!

Make sure you buy QUALITY tools if you don't have any. Good tools are a very worth while investment. :cry:

Ok. my bad

If u don't wanna learn how to change the oil, u better get out now cuz it'll get expensive. If it's not bad enough that the oil costs $3+ a quart and another 8 for the oil filter, wait till they add on labor. My friend is like that, he blew the top end and my friend and I offered to fix it for him free of charge as long as he would pay for the parts. Well, he didn't want to do that and decided to take it to the dealer. They added on 150 bucks for labor for a 1.5 hour job.