Sign in to follow this  

Raptures bike breaks another RHC spring on face of jump = ouch!

Rapture and crew went to the GMBIII in splendora this weekend. Since rapture isnt 100% yet and wasnt racing he let a friend of his (tim) race his bike. tim was going up the face of the triple stepup went the spring let go. needless to say he went over the bars and face planted. ER checkup just showed a concussion and some bruised ribs, thankfully. our crew cant take anymore injuries! the bike took most of the damage. the ugly ST/Yosh is no more. rapture will post pics later today. bent the brand new subframe. and cosmetic damage. this cant be a coincidence with this 2nd spring failure with the RHC cam and springs. rapture is pretty ticked about this. it just isnt worth it to have to worry about failures while riding...and it is just plain damgerous. yeah, the bike is hellufast, but if it ends up crippling you! :cry: i think in order to use this setup you would have to rebuild your bike (springs and valves) on a regular basis. this may be worth it if you are a flat tracker or pro mxer, but not on our level. dont get me wrong, i am still going to use RHC for my headwork on the 250, but i will be using a less aggressive billet cam and hopefully there will be more options on valve springs by the first of the year. rapture doesnt know the extent of the damage internally yet as he hasnt pulled the head off yet. hopefully he got lucky again.

who else is running the RHC cam and springs rapture is using and have you had any failures? thanks. :cry:

pics to follow...good thing raps doc told him a few more months off b/c he was planning on making the GMBIII his first race back. and he woulda been 5th gear pinned headed up the face of that jump! :cry: lord knows what mistakes on that jump cost you! :cry:

Sorry to hear about that. I am running the RHC cam and springs but they are the new single spring from Ferrea that are made out of the highest quality material available. I haven't heard of any problems yet. However, like in Keith's case there have been a few failures with the old double spring on MX applications because of the rapid rpm changes. I would seriously recommend him upgrading to the new springs while its apart :cry:

Single spring? I havent heard of that before. I need to call Ron Monday to get the intake setup, I just dropped a intake, actually both, a week ago...

Holy hanna.

It's things like that, that keep me thinking on a 4 stroke.

There is so much to give, especially when it's pegged out and the bike is worked on heavily. Performance for durabilty seems to be a big issue.

Wouldn't say it would be worth it to me. Can't go fast when the bike is busted up.

That would have been a nightmare though to have come back from a serious injury, first ride, and to have probably been mussed all up again from something like that happening! :cry:

LA LAAAA LAA LAAAAAA LAAA LA LA LA, I can't hear you . . . I didn't hear you say the RHC spring snapped a second time, LAAA LAA LAAAAAAAA LA LA LAAAA LAAAAAAA LA LA!!

Nooo :cry:!!! I just got my head back from Ron, with a full spring kit & SS valves. The LAST thing I want to hear is that the springs are snapping.

I took my bike out for it's maiden run today, since the new valves and springs. The bike ran great, but I have to tell you I get paranoid when it takes more than 2 kicks to fire it up.

If my valves or springs take a dump again in under 2 full seasons, there WILL be a blue or orange bike in my garage next :cry: !!!

I've got the Ferrea singles on the intake side for only 10hrs now. Running the stock 02 cam though. Man I hope this is only a Rons hot cam + spring thing.......

I do not believe is it a spring quality issue. I DO however believe it is a cam issue, namely, it's too "hot" for the usage I am giving it....the spring is still stacked in there and it seems I may have gotten lucky and not punctured the piston with a valve. Remember my bike sat for at least 2 months right after my injury, maybe the intake was compressed and caused a weakening of the spring...? I think I am going to see about getting a stage 1 cam or even the stock cam with the good springs. Again, I seriously doubt the spring is just breaking on it's own...the ferrea springs we are using are a proven part, they have been making this application for quite a while...

The engine still has some compression and does not have any mechanical binding when stroking the kickstarter...you can hear the compression bleed through the intake...I hope the piston is ok!

The first time it was the left intake, this time it is the right side. Weird. I am going to do the tear down wednesday night and report what I find.

Anyway, Tim was not racing, he was riding practice saturday and the bike died right at the lip of the takeoff of the tiple stepup, thankfully he was only doubling it in third gear. Clearing it requires 4th topped out or 5th gear if you want any pull left over, if it had happened at that point it could have killed someone...but it never locked up actually, it just popped and died. But with no throttle to keep the front end up it just nosed in and over the bars he went. The brand new subframe (1st ride on it DOH!) got whacked...kinda bad. We got it fairly close to straight and the plastic and pipe all line up properly. The ST/Yosh combo is trashed. Crushed and twisted like a beer can! It even bent the header and th end of the header is egg shaped. I had to beat the silencer section off with a hammer.

Pics in a few minutes....

However, like in Keith's case there have been a few failures with the old double spring on MX applications because of the rapid rpm changes. I would seriously recommend him upgrading to the new springs while its apart :cry:

It has the single springs in it already...no doubles... :cry:

Hey, Cool pipe!!!!

That Super trap is now Super Bent!! You may be able to list that thing on ebay and get a few dollars for it if you label it a "high water crossing pipe". It would be good for that now that it points straight to the sky!!

Sorry man.......I couldn't resist.

Good to see yall again. I hope T-Rod gets back up to speed soon.

Johnny

I wonder if the pipe doctor here in Minnesota could fix that pipe? Probably.

Jas

Fixing that thing would be like putting make-up and a mini-skirt on davbruca's grandmother. Still fat, ugly, and making loud noises out of the rear end! :cry: :cry: :cry:

I am waiting on the lowboy Jemco since they are like 2 hours or less away from me...I'll just pick up the one he is making for dave's 450... :cry:

Just curious, what skill level are you guys? Local pros, intermediates, what?

Just curious, what skill level are you guys? Local pros, intermediates, what?

I am (was) a local vet expert rider speed...kind of in that middle "no mans land" between a fast intermediate and a local 250 expert speed...hence, a VET class rider :cry:

OK. My question is why did you let Tim ride it. He probably chickened out and chopped the throttle so hard it hurt the spring.

Has RHC been notified of this apparent problem?

After I tear down tomorrow evening and check everything I am going to call him...

...still I think the camshaft is too hard on the spring...I think the spring itself is fine, just that hot camshaft is beating that spring like a pimp does a crack ho. :cry:

No i wasnt contacted and yes i knew that the old springs were breaking with the 208 cam and i informed my customers that i had ferrea working on new springs and have had them for mounths .and the reason i had spring kits made in the first place is because of the problems i was having with other springs and valves .i told keith when he broke his first springs that i had Ferrea working on new springs and i made customers aware of the fact .as far as pepole getting hurt riding mx bikes because of engine failures that can happen when any engine part breaks.ther are some other cams out there with even more lift on the intake than the 208 if you keep the stock rev limiter at 11200 rpm you can get about 8 hours from the springs these were not my springs if you put a vortex ignition on and raise the rpm limit you can get 3 hrs from the same springs .any way what it comes down to is the amount of performance you want from your bike and how much maintenace you want to do on it and if you want to win or not .if i wanted to be a A hole i would post all the failures of parts from other manufactures that i have seen on here but i wont .Ron

Hey Ron. I never bashed ya buddy! :cry: I am gonna call you after I tear down tomorrow and see what exactly happened. Any spring can break, any other part can too.

Oh, you have a phone call coming anyways, I can't type that much info here, takes too long.... :cry: