Sign in to follow this  

Hypothetical...insights..one motorcycle

Not in this situation, but fun to ponder. Say your only possession was to be your motorcycle, and you wanted to see the country/world with it. What would you pick? I think I would lean toards an old BMW or perhaps a KLR, although water cooled bikes scare the hell out of me. I would want something easy as cake to fix and incredibly dependable. Perhaps even an XR400.

I have a dualsport XR400

it's EXTREEMLY twitchy on gravel, pavement is not too bad, but on forest service roads it keeps me very awake, when I stand up and ride you can feel the whole bike skirting around like crazy

ahh I did not know that

no reason to keep it going with the CRF450X, both target the same consumers

Given only one choice for a bike to see the world I think

the KTM 950 would be a good one, sure its not a woods bike,

but for around the world it would be a good choice.

I second that. I've seen some pretty technical riding done with them. Can't afford the near 15K price tag 😢, so I'm looking into KLR's to do some adventure riding. 😢

950jumping1.jpg

3181877-M.jpg

I started a thread i the XR250/400 section about riding my D.S. XR400(440) to work and on the Fwy. Spending a full tank on the road on that bike(even with the propper tires), would leave a serious case of Monkey Butt! 😢 Might want to rething the suspension set-up, and gearing as well.

Nice pics RFR.

Saw some older guys on these in the sheetiron 300 from stoneyford - ft bragg & back.

They were taking on some steep rocky rutted climbs on these beasts. 😢 :cry: 😢

I second that. I've seen some pretty technical riding done with them. Can't afford the near 15K price tag 😢, so I'm looking into KLR's to do some adventure riding. 😢

950jumping1.jpg

3181877-M.jpg

A few weekends ago in Mammoth I was passed by two KTM Adventures doing about 80. One was in a full stand up wheelie while being filmed by a passenger car and the other just blew by me like I was standing still. Never saw the guys again in town. I think I would have bought the wheelie guy a brew 😢

I'd go for an XT600E,you may not have many in the US,but they are everywhere in the rest of the world.From 1988 to 2004 they were practicaly unchanged,most of the bugs ironed out,reliable,simple to fix,the last of the bikes you can get going in the middle of now where.Still one of the bikes most often picked for a trip into Africa.

To me the essence of a RTW would not be taking your new KTM 950 into the dealer for it's next service and tyre change - but sitting in some remote village in Africa,South America or Asia with a broken bike,trying to make a fix with what's available around the area.

For example I have a 1992 XT400E,I have an SRX600 motor and will be swapping crank and top end soon,I have a 1984 TT600 swing arm that will fit with only a little modification,the race kitted TT600 rear shock is a bolt in.

You need a simple reliable bike you can fix anywhere,anyhow - an XT600E.

Cool bike and all (the KTM) but if you're spending alot of time in the dirt you might want to check out

topleft.jpg

Spending a full tank on the road on that bike(even with the propper tires), would leave a serious case of Monkey Butt! 😢 Might want to rething the suspension set-up, and gearing as well.

For some reason, when I ride my street bike, my legs, butt, wrists and back all hurt like hell

but I can ride my XR400 all day long without feeling any pain, unless I'm in the woods pushing hard