Sign in to follow this  

Just thinking...

Hey guys. I was jsut thinking about the reserve tank on the 230's, and the 150's if they have them. Wouldn't it be smarter to use the Reserve instead of the primary tank? If you only used the primary and not the reserve, wouldn't the gas go bad in the reserve tank?

Just some food for thought.

-Phill

huh 😢

When they say reserve its not really a "reserve tank" is it?

on all the quad tanks that i have seen, there is no actual reserve tank. On the petcock you have 2 tubes and 3 positions. Reserve, on(prime), off. On the inside of the tank on the petcock there is 2 tubes. One is about a inch or 2 taller then the other tube. When you put it on the on position you get the gas from the taller tube, when you run out of gas on that, its because the tube is taller then the gas on the bottom. When you switch it onto reserve you take from the bottom tube which takes gas from the very bottom of the tank. So the gas cant get stale. It all mixes when you fill her up.

the tubes are somehting like this

l <this being the "on" one

l

l l

l l

l l

-----

huh 😢

When they say reserve its not really a "reserve tank" is it?

on all the quad tanks that i have seen, there is no actual reserve tank. On the petcock you have 2 tubes and 3 positions. Reserve, on(prime), off. On the inside of the tank on the petcock there is 2 tubes. One is about a inch or 2 taller then the other tube. When you put it on the on position you get the gas from the taller tube, when you run out of gas on that, its because the tube is taller then the gas on the bottom. When you switch it onto reserve you take from the bottom tube which takes gas from the very bottom of the tank. So the gas cant get stale. It all mixes when you fill her up.

the tubes are somehting like this

l <this being the "on" one

l

l l

l l

l l

-----

Some reserve tank if thats the gase. Why not just run the fuel from one hose instead 😢

I thought it was literally a reserve tank.

Same tank space,, the pet [@#$%&*!] has a tube on it that goes up inside the tank.. in the On position, it uses fuel until the level gets to the top of the tube,,, to use the rest, you place in reserve,, and it then draws fuel from a lower port.. But all the gas in in the same tank.

EDIT: 😢 :cry: TT software must not like the word I sued to describe the fuel valve 😢

I guess you should have typed petcock without a space. 😢 Hopefully nobody ever talks about a rooster in here. I suppose if you just ran on reserve it would let the absolute bottom drain out of the tank first, but I haven't really thought about that since they came out with plastic tanks, they don't rust as bad as the metal ones. 😢 Am I showing my age by that comment???

I guess you should have typed petcock without a space. 😢 Hopefully nobody ever talks about a rooster in here. I suppose if you just ran on reserve it would let the absolute bottom drain out of the tank first, but I haven't really thought about that since they came out with plastic tanks, they don't rust as bad as the metal ones. 😢 Am I showing my age by that comment???

Well I thought it was a actual reserve. If the bike never got around to use it and it stayed in there for a hile, it could turn bad.

But since your riding it it mixes it up, its all just one big tank.

I get it now, whooooo

Hey guys. I was jsut thinking about the reserve tank on the 230's, and the 150's if they have them. Wouldn't it be smarter to use the Reserve instead of the primary tank? If you only used the primary and not the reserve, wouldn't the gas go bad in the reserve tank?

Just some food for thought.

-Phill

You're kidding right??? 😢

The "reserve" setting is for people like me who ride half the day and forget about checking the fuel level. :naughty:When it sputters, I remember that I haven't filled up. But I flip to reserve, and head straight back to the truck for more. 😢

Here's another thought. Has anyone ever filled their tank, went riding and actually ran out of gas? I swear, I can put in a teaspoon of gas in my bike and it will run all year. Now I only have a 150 and most of you have the 230's, but come on! 😢

The guy that can finish that tank has blisters of steal!

Yeah, I only go through a gallon of gas tops per ride!

Here's another thought. Has anyone ever filled their tank, went riding and actually ran out of gas? I swear, I can put in a teaspoon of gas in my bike and it will run all year. Now I only have a 150 and most of you have the 230's, but come on! 😢

The guy that can finish that tank has blisters of steal!

Yes, I drained a full tank in 2.5 hrs! 😢 I was riding on sand dunes though. So, it was wide open throttle every where.

My longest trail ride with out refueling was just over 50 miles. Think it only used about 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 gallons.

I wish we had clear tanks instead of black ones.

😢

i ran mine on reserve on th trails...we go riding for about 4-7hrs per day almost non-stop. 😢

We were riding and it started to sputter...slap it in reserve and finished riding...isnt that reserve like .4 gallons?

if so then you can still ride for a while longer on that alone.

Me and my dad both have 230's and we ran them out exploring in the desert outside of dumont somewhere over 110 miles thankfully I carry a Maier Super jug it saved the day again by getting us back to camp.