Sign in to follow this  

registering a dual sport for street use in CA

I am new to the dualsport world. I have always owned off road only bikes, and am now in the process of finding my perfectly used XR650L.

What do I have to know about finding a bike that is street legal, to register it for riding on the streets of California?

I have some doubt about bikes that are listed as "street legal" but are only registered with the OHV green sticker.

Thanks for all ya'lls help!

Welcome, get one already plated & reged if you can.

Post the same question in the DS forum here or in the Southwest

forum. You can also do a search in either of those & find

a great deal of info already posted. Good luck. 😢 :cry:

The guys in the 650 forum should be able to give you some info also.

Aren't all XR650L's street legal..complete with Federal emissions sticker? 😢

if the bike owner has ever given the plate up or expired the reg and upped for a green sticker, the bike will no longer be able to carry a california plate. That b.s. law just went into effect January 1st 2004. One of the girls at my work is certified by the dmv to register bikes (cant recall what the position is called) she filled us in on what the new law covers. ANY dual sport bike that is currently plated is grandfathered in. only new vehicles that are CARB approved and street legal from the factory can be issued a Cal plate. Absolutely no more Baja kitted bikes will be plated in the state. Another co-worker has a 1982 Honda XL500 that, at one time, had a cal plate but was lost in the yard for many years. Bike info drops out of the DMV records in either 3 or 5 years, I cant recall which, but because his bike info fell out of the system, he can no longer re-plate the bike. Absolutely do not buy an enduro for street use that has a green sticker. It will never see the street legally again.