Sign in to follow this  

TTR Wanna-Be Newbie

Hi all,

I rode a KX80 as a kid untill it was too small, I'm now 25, 6'3" and 165#, and it's been about 10 years since I rode much. I just got the wife convinced that we should be a motorcycle family, not 4-wheelers, and a guy my brother-in-law sold his truck to want's to make a deal with me. I've got a snowmobile, 1997 Yamaha Mtn. Max 600 that I was going to sell for $2,000 this winter and this guy wan't to make a deal with me for his TTR's. He has a 2003 TTR250 and a 2003 TTR125L each with about 250 miles on them and showroom condition. He was trying to sell them for $5,000 this summer but never got rid of them. To make a long story short we negotiated and came out to my snowmobile + $1800 for the two bikes, which for me is equal to $3800.

What do you guys think? It seems like a smokin deal to me, I just want to make sure that they're worth it.

BTW- my wife is 5'1" and 100# so I think the 125 is probably the perfect bike for her other than no electric start. How much would that cost to add?

Hopefully I'll be around here a little more often in the near future. Next Saturday we're supposed to make the trade.

I'd say it's an ok deal, but not smokin'. I saw brand new TTR125's with electric start going for $2400 out the door (here in CA with too much tax). One benefit to new is that they come with a warranty, even if brief. One benefit to (some) used bikes is that they have already added aftermarket parts.

A disadvantage is that I talked to a guy not long ago who bought a used TTR125...the first time he opened the airbox, he saw that the air filter had not been oiled. Ever. Who knows if it'd ever been cleaned. "Well maintained" has different definitions depending on the speaker.

You can't add electric start without paying too much. If you want electric start, trade the sled for the 250, and buy a 125 elsewhere. The 125 is perfect...I got one for my wife, too. She loved the electric, because it removed the frustration of restarts after stalling.

C

I would expect the TTR250 to go for around $3k by itself, then the TTR125 for around $1200.

Now, your price of $3800 is also assuming one thing - that you'd have gotten $2k for the snowmobile. More than likely some redneck would have come along with $1800 or less cash money after you had made your mind up that you wanted dirtbikes and you would have taken less than $2k for it.

So now realistically, we're looking at closer to $3500 for the two bikes which I would expect to sell for around $4200 or so.

It's a good deal assuming the bikes really are in that good of condition, but I wouldn't say smoking.

However, being as how the guy is taking the snowmobile off your hands as part trade, the deal becomes sweeter due to convienience. You already have the snowmobile paid for, and you're only giving up the $1800 for both bikes that you want anyway...

The bikes are definitely worth $1800 cash...

Oh and don't worry about the TTR125 and your wife. My wife is the same size and not only does she ride great, she doesn't have any trouble kicking hers over. Granted, it's in proper tune though. Keep it tuned up and it will fire right over.

I'm going to say get them. You'll be happy you did.

Also, it wouldn't hurt to make one final offer a few hundred less and see if he goes for it...

Thanks for the vote of confidence, I'm deffinately going to go through with it. For me I think it really is a decent deal (OK, not smokin but at least decent). He offered to drop off the bikes at my house and pick up the sled plus now I don't have to advertise, haggle, etc... The bikes really are in amazing condition, they have been on five rides total. When the owner was trying to think of anything wrong with them all he could come up with was the aftermarket sticker on the rear fender of the 125.

As Y'all say in Texas, YeeHaw!!!