Sign in to follow this  

YZ450F Bit me

I've owned a YZ450F for about 5 months.

About 3 weeks ago I crashed and broke my left scapula in half.

I'm too old to be motocrossing (47).

I need to learn better jumping techniques.

Any good :cry: place to start?

d

Here :cry:

Gary Semic's has some awsome DVD's on riding technique, and these forums your on, both will help you by leaps and bounds..

There is a search function on this forum that works incredibly well, look around for jumping stuff on it you'll find all sorts of good stuff.

So tell us what happened? and &%$#@! was it you broke? :cry:

start small. work on table tops and small doubles. There is a post jumping confidence on this page from a rider who crossed from 4wheels to 2. get the smaller jumps and be able to control the bike. the semics stuff i hear is really good and he offered a free 4 day mx guide awhile back, not sure if its still going on.

Yeah just take it easy. Hit small stuff first and build up some skills and confidence.

Welcome to TT, ddustin. Did you have a bike before the 450? Or was the YZ450F your first dirtbike? Do you have other riding experience? There are a lot of good threads here in the MX Techniques forum about jumping and learning to balance your weight on the pegs. Here's a good one for instance:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=mxridingtech&Number=1135972&fpart=&PHPSESSID=

You can also try a search on the word decel here in the MX forum -- it will get you to several threads that talk about how balancing on the pegs and jumping go together.

Definitely also get the Semics video on "The Art of Jumping and Whoops". It has lots of good tips and drills to help you to work your way up. Heck, I'll be 47 next month as well, and airtime is one of the best parts of riding :cry:

I had YZ's in the 80's then my older kids moved out and I quit.

My younger 2 now, (bought their bikes on Saturday and Sunday they started riding on the MX track, straight up) wanted to MX so I started shopping again.

I could get the YZ450F for the same price as a YZ250F.

So..... I bought the 450.

It scared the S*@t out of me the first 3 weeks then I got used to it.

I had been working on table tpes and could do small doubles.

The reason I asked about jumping is my 14 yr old boy has been riding for only 6 mos and is doubling everything in sight. I need to keep up.

When I crashed I was racing a 20(something) year old guy and was gaining a little every lap.

I came out of a tight left hander with a drop off. I was spinning (tire) out of the corner when it hooked up solid and the bike went left.... and I left the bike.

Broke my shoulder blade in half, and yes it hurt like hell.

That was 3 weeks ago. This last weekend I hopped on my boys KX125 just to see if I could do it (I had only had the sling off 1 day) it was a short ride.

So... to answer your question, its almost like my first bike.

Yup the 450 is great machine, goes like crazy. I need to respect her a little more now. I would rank my self as a low, intermediate rider (read old guy). :cry:

So far I can still beat my boys, but only because I eat them up on any straight portion. If I had the same size rides as them, now way I could beat them.

Thanks for the tips guys!!!!!

d in North Georgia.