Sign in to follow this  

Having trouble starting 230F.

I purchased a used 2003 230F on Friday. The bike started right away with zero effort on Friday the few times I tried starting the bike.

We returned from a weekend trip on Sunday afternoon and I decided to try to start the bike again. I forgot to choke the engine when starting and after a few cranks all I get are clicks. I tried the "flooded engine" procedure in owners manual but all I'm able to get is clicking no matter what I try. :cry:

I purchased a used 2003 230F on Friday. The bike started right away with zero effort on Friday the few times I tried starting the bike.

We returned from a weekend trip on Sunday afternoon and I decided to try to start the bike again. I forgot to choke the engine when starting and after a few cranks all I get are clicks. I tried the "flooded engine" procedure in owners manual but all I'm able to get is clicking no matter what I try. :cry:

No cranking over?

Try looking at the fuse, check the battery connectiong and starter connections.

No cranking over?

I don't hear the engine cranking over. I hear a clicking noise so it's getting 'some' power from the battery so I think the fuse/connector is fine.

Does the clicking mean the battery is dying and doesn't have enough juice to crank the engine over?

No cranking over?

I don't hear the engine cranking over. I hear a clicking noise so it's getting 'some' power from the battery so I think the fuse/connector is fine.

Does the clicking mean the battery is dying and doesn't have enough juice to crank the engine over?

Sounds like you dont have enough juice. Try this. Take off the negative cable off the negative terminal on the battery. Barely touch it to the negative on the battery. If it sparks, you have a short. Even a small spark.

If no spark, check the battery for leaks.

Run it under a battery tender if everything seems ok. :cry:

If its clicking it has some juice so try bump starting it.

If it fires let it run for a few and see if it takes a charge....Karl

I'm picking a charger on the way home today. I guess I'll if it's the battery tonight. <shrug>

What does the clicking noise mean? Searching the forum I can't determine if this a "normal" starter engine sound or if it's an indication that battery is dead.

If its clicking it has some juice so try bump starting it.

If it fires let it run for a few and see if it takes a charge....Karl