Sign in to follow this  

How do they carry their weight?

Had a Yamaha WR400. Good power, too heavy and top heavy. Now I'm on a CRF250, but I'll be selling it in the next few months and I'd like something that is 75% trail but the other 25% for fun at the MX track. Looks like the 450EXC or MXC are candidates, but they are still 250+ dry. I realize that how the bike carries its weight is just as important. Anyone track ride their EXC or MXC? How does it REALLY do? Wondering if I should just buy the a CRF450 and add a few off-road mods to it. I like the idea of the e-button though.

Everything I've ever seen on the EXC/MXC KTM's, is that they feel 20 pounds lighter than they are. Heck - all KTM's seem to feel lighter than they are.

Someone will have a more precise answer for you though!

You could always Benedict TT and stop in at KTMTalk and ask too! :cry:

I sold a CRF250r to buy a left-over 450exc. The only time I feel the weight is putting it on the stand. The Honda was a great moto bike but I spend most of my time in tight eastern woods and the KTM feels only slightly heavier and will moto nicely with the clickers tuned in a bit. The WP suspension has a very wide range of adjustment.

The KTM feels to have a low CG, especially compared to any of the Yamahas. I gladly gave up a light Honda for a torquey, plush, quick turning, electric start super versatile bike. Ride one, you will see the light. :cry:

I have an 03 450 EXC and it feels light to me, but I came off a tank of a DRZ. I recommend you take one for a ride. You can take a spin on mine if you want to join us for a ride. Also, I read a post in the general forum about a KTM demo day coming up with Malcolm Smith Motorsports if you want to go try a few different 05 models.

I had a '02 400exc and the term "carry their weight well" best describes them. I've had the opportunity to swap rides with numerous bikes both 4 strokes and 2 strokes. Virtually all of the people that rode the 400 would comment on how natural the bike felt, it did not take long to feel comfortable on (either that or they did not want to hurt my feelings :cry:) Some of the larger riders had issues with my bike's ergonomic setup, those can be fixed with bar position and such.

Heavy is heavy, when dragging dead weight it quickly becomes apparent. How the weight is carried makes all the difference when you are rolling.

I jumped ship and currently ride a 200exc :cry:. I wanted something lighter and decided to go to the opposite end of the spectrum. Would I own another KTM 4 stroke? Yes, they are nice bikes. :cry:

Andy

The Honda is obviously better on the track, but it is so far behind on the trail that I never ride it there anymore. Actually, I prefer to ride my '05 EXC at the track (when I do)these days, since my time is limited and I race the EXC, I want the saddle time. On the track I was blown away at how good the stock suspension works overall. Unfortunatly, the stiff action on the track, stinks on the trail. I am comfortable jumping the'05 as it doesn't do anything weird. I am re-doing the suspension this week to better suit my harescramble racing needs, I am curious to see how it effects the track manners. I added a 50T rear sprocket (up from 48T) and that improved the drive out of corners, but it could still use more hit to make it great. As to the wieght, same as above, not very evident. When I ride my friends '03 WR450, I am always amazed at the top heavy feel. The 525 is pretty darn nimble in comparison. I have ridden the 450EXC and can't tell a lot of difference between the two (besides power). One "issue" I have with the Honda is at the end of a long day of racing or riding, a couple of times I have been startled to find the oil level scary low due to blowing oil out via the breather hose due to high rev's.

I haven't ridden my 525 on the track, so I am unable to tell you which one is better. However, I have ridden it on some relatively fast, whooped out singletrack and I was surprised that the 525 was better than the CRF. You can barely feel the weight difference between the two.

I think you would be happier with the KTM, as you spend more time trail riding. I think the MXC will be better for the track than the EXC because of the close ratio transmission. With the stock sprockets the MXC will go over 90mph. I geared mine down to 13/50 and now it hits harder and it's still good about 80mph.

Up until I rode my buddy's 2005 525, I was convinced that the best off-road bikes were converted mxer's. Not any more! :cry: