Sign in to follow this  

05 CRF 450 Runs Like Crap!

Just picked up my bike last Thursday. Warmed it up and rode it up and down the street. Backfired and popped like crazy, especially when I chopped the throttle. Rode Piru MX on Saturday and it performed the same. I turned the fuel screw out 1/4 turn , then 1/2 turn and then 3/4 turn. No difference in performance. On my last moto, the bike kept stalling coming out of the corners and died on me several times. The bike was also not easy to start. Any suggestions?

Mine did the same thing the first time I rode it. It was REALLY hard to start, popped and backfired on decel, etc. All you need to do is get a small flat head driver bit and adjust the pilot screw. Just get it warmed up, shield the back of your hand from the HOT cam chain tensioner, and as it idles, turn the screw in and out, and center it between the two points where it starts to drop off RPM's. It was easy for me, as I used my Sendec tach to monitor the idle RPM. I didn't actually count how much more I turned it out, but I think about 1/2 - 3/4 turn richer, and it runs fine now. Only took 2-3 minutes...now worries. Let me know what you find out... :cry:

Edit: OK, I am retarded. I just noticed that you said that you did tune the pilot screw....well, that fixed it for me. Maybe your fuel level is too low in the carb? Its wierd because mine did the exact same thing...popping, backfiring, hard starting, and died in turns!? And the pilot screw fixed it. You might try playing with it somemore...

I dont know where your located but if its less than 60 out your going to want to rejet it.

My 2004 did the same thing the first time I went and rode it. Just hard to start and stalled it a couple times. But after I rode it that one day it was fine. I think they just have to get broke in, rings to seat, and stars to line up.,lol Later Adam

if this is your first 4 stroke...you gotta get used to how it exits corners...or you will stall. It took me about 5 hours of seat time to get it to not stall.

If you let the RPMs drop too low the dam thing will near try to turnover back words and die!

MSULLY;

THEY COME LEAN FOR ENVIRONMENTAL REASONS.

PUT A #45 PILOT JET IN, PUT A #170 MAIN JET IN AND RUN THE FUEL SCREW AT STOCK OR CLOSE TO IT. LEAVE THE NEEDLE POSITION STOCK

tb

THAT SHOULD SOLVE YOUR PROBLEMS

Buy yourself the JD Jetting Kit and a Zip Ty fuel screw and be done w/it. The jetting kit has settings for warm/cold temps & altitude. You can easily fine tune w/the ZT fuel screw.

You sound like you are real close to where I live. PM me if you need help.

I found this out the hard way!! I've stalled already 2-3 times like this. The bike has so much compression, its a good thing I guess. Once, during a coasting 4th gear jump, the engine shut down, leaving me nose down. I almost bought a nice dirt knap. Is this normal or am I just lean on bottom end or what??

Mike,

If you didn't ride like a girl, the bike would run better. If you kept the throttle pinned, like the bike was meant to be ridden, you wouldn't have to worry about the pilot circuit of the carb.

K

if you just picked it up and it ran that way I would be at the dealers that day &%$#@!!

Kevin,

Then you must be a girlie girl as I don't recall you passing me at Piru on Saturday! BTW, I have a 45 pilot and 170 main I will be installing tonight. See you Saturday so you can eat my roost!!!!